Chapter 2: Housemates

☆  After thinking about it, I decided to continue this one-shot to make a proper fic.

Facing his fate apparently was to stay in Mondstadt for a certain period of time, just as he had done in Sumeru. They were walking down the hillside when Wanderer mentioned it to her, Mona did nothing but stifle a bitter laugh.

Who would welcome a former fatui into their home, or allow him to walk through the streets of Mondstadt without further ado? Even diplomatic fatuis were looked down upon, it was clear that ex-members of the Harbingers would not be far behind.

"How do you intend to live here when your identity is still tied to Scaramouche and not Wanderer? What's more, I'm surprised the people of Sumeru did it without a problem." Not to say it was suspicious at the very least. He narrowed his eyes inquisitively, if he hadn't dreamed of that region, I wouldn't have believed him. "How did you do it?"

"Believe me or not, acquaintance with their Archon has numerous advantages." Mona arched an eyebrow at that comment, Wanderer did not give it any thought. "I repudiate Gods, but she's helped me, so I'm in a disgust-divine truce with her."

And why would she help him? The curiosity in Mona only grew with every word he spoke. Wanderer was a walking source of knowledge, and the astrologer wanted to know every last bit of his story. Besides, another piece did not quite fit. Greater Lord Rukkhadevata had supposedly been presumed dead, so she would have to be...

"The Lesser Lord Kusanali?" Wanderer nodded. "I see, the last I heard of her was the tensions between the Akademiya and her mandate over the lack of acceptance of Rukkhadevata's death." Now it was the ex-fatui who arched an eyebrow.

"Who?"

His indigo gaze became inquisitive, as if he was threading ideas in his head every time Mona spoke. Megistus decided to take it as a joking remark, for how could he not know her? She did not have time for his games, so she decided to get back to the main point as soon as possible.

"The former Dendro Archon! Really, what a forgetful former fatui." She sighed. "Well, look, let's leave Sumeru aside, how do you intend to live here? That concerns me more."

"You're worrying about me, that's new." He sardonically remarked, causing her to roll her eyes. "Well, I'll live as I've lived in Sumeru, just being a wanderer. I assure you if I haven't had problems there even knowing everything you've already seen, I'm not going to have them here. And ah, what were you saying Megistus, that you were going to let me live in your house?" He raised his tone of voice playfully, but there was not a trace of a lie in his mischievous tone. "Someone told me you're having trouble paying the rent."

No way. No, no, and no. It was one thing to accept his fate and quite another to have to live with it. However, that was an idea based on her pride and emotions, the same ones that kept denying that her destiny was him.

The truth is that a lodger with a good sack of mora under his arm would be perfect for her, a sack that she did not see under his. If Wanderer intended to live with her for free, he would have it rough, but it was clear that he had something to offer. Otherwise, he would not have suggested it.