Chapter 13: Hands of Fate

Note: And finally, the last chapter! Only the epilogue would be left. I've loved writing this story, I've adored every chapter. It's been years since I've felt the need to write long multi-chapter fics for any ship, I'm glad they've given me that inspiration back. I've learned to connect more with Mona's character with each letter and to appreciate her, so I've grown to like her a little, too.

★ ★ ★

Forgotten memories kept Mona from sleeping a wink that night.

That one and the ones before.

She had already given it enough thought. It was always the same. An univocal conclusion. So she decided that she would no longer delay the inevitable. She decided that, on that very day, it would all come to an end. Mona was ready to recover her memories. To be aware of all her sins. It was up to the gods to atone for them.

Later, Nahida explained that it had been her own master who had told her. How everything had been coldly calculated to happen that way. Her master, though not a goddess, had participated in her atonement. It was why she left her to her fate in Mondstadt. Why she wanted to teach her the values of helping others through hydromancy. Choosing her as her heiress... And now, everything was in her hands. Her master was not there.

She would not fight, nor would she deny anything at all. She would face her destiny as it was. As it had been dictated to her. The only thing that could remain unchanged in her ideology was herself.

In those moments, she laid on Wanderer's bed, next to the stuffed seelie. It has not been long since she woke up. Now, she was sitting with her knees drawn up to her chest. Mona rested her head thoughtfully on her knees. Her long black hair fell over her shoulders and face. She pursed her lips, her mind still turning Nahida's words over in vain. There was nothing she could do about it anymore.

The smell of breakfast lingered in the air as she saw the door open. Her boyfriend appeared with a tray full of freshly cooked food. Mona smiled faintly as she remembered the time she saw him cooking at home for the first time. Back then, he had been reluctant to make her food, and now, he was taking the trouble to prepare it for her.

Even though her stomach was upset, it growled plaintively at the sight of what was on the tray. She followed him with her eyes and watched as he set it down on the bedside table.

"If you don't eat the food, we don't go to the Irminsul. As always, the choice is on you." Wanderer sat down next to her on the bed and pushed her hair away from her face. Mona could read that concern in his indigo eyes. "Did you get any sleep?"

"Not much." Mona yawned. She sat up to reach for the tray. She looked at the Baklava with interest. Its sweet aroma whetted her appetite. She took one of her pieces to taste it. "Thank you, Wanderer. Did Nahida teach you how to prepare these dishes? You always manage to come up with new recipes."

"Yes, Mona. It's just that people learn to cook something more productive than salads." At his smirking sarcasm, she subtly tapped him with her foot. "And don't even think about defending them, we both know they were only your best friends because of your lack of mora planning."