Chapter 12: Born from the Stars

Note: I wanted to try Wanderer's pov once, just once – so this chapter is entirely from his point of view! He's a very complex character. I hope I've done him justice.

☆ ☆ ☆

Wanderer had not informed Nahida she would be receiving visitors.

In fact, the last time they had seen each other, he had sworn never to set foot in Sumeru again.

It had been an argument in which Wanderer had lost because of her incessant arguments. She wanted to keep him there, to study at the Sumeru academy until who knows when, and not leave the region until he was ready. He adamantly refused.

What started as antagonising her for the sake of it ended up in his stupid dream about Mondstadt, that stupid, incessant dream of the three times. Instead of asking her, he took off himself to try to put an end to it. In the process, he would lose sight of her for a while. The fact that she did not stop him made him suspect she wanted it to happen.

The rest was history. Mona made a much more interesting story out of that resigned beginning, no doubt. Out of all the things to expect in Mondstadt, she was the last of them. She, and all that it implied, in turn. Everything that happened afterwards.

For once, Wanderer saw his fate with different eyes. Unlike the others, his future was clear and tangible. Whatever happened, they would be together. Whatever happened, they would live long. He did not believe in fate, but if he wanted one, that would be the one.

He hoped the torments of the previous ones would not overshadow them, no matter how much he convinced himself of his flawless vision.

Now, he walked beside Mona on a path. A real one, from Sumeru. One he knew like the back of his hand from all the times he had walked along it during those months. And speaking of hands, he was in charge of taking Mona's hand. The unoccupied ones were more than busy, as they carried their respective luggage.

"Nahida must know we're already here, even if we haven't told her. We'll look for her in the city anyway, that's where my house is, too." Which he expected Nahida had taken to cleaning up in his absence. "We drop the stuff off first and then look for her or whatever... Oh, come on, for fuck's sake."

Treasure hoarders were blocking the road in the distance. The burly men with covered faces were looting a recently abandoned cart. If they crossed from the side, they would definitely know they were there. And if they went too far into the forest, the monsters would bother them more than usual. He sighed and looked at his girlfriend.

"Hmm? Oh, ugh, treasure thieves, I see they're everywhere." Mona added. "Well, you know this place better than I do. Can we surround them? I see they're focused on the cart. If we get far enough away, we'll go unnoticed."

"It's the only way."

Wanderer lied half-heartedly. And he did it for a good cause: He had not seen Mona elementally fight properly yet. She had only casually slapped him around. And oh, he was dying to witness it. He had no intention of suggesting waiting for them to finish stealing either, things had to be done efficiently.