In So Deep That You're Drowning

Comenzar desde el principio

"Your dropout friends seem to survive shit they shouldn't," Cleo remarks and flips her knife to distract herself. Kiara hums at her words. "How'd you even land wit' them anyway?"

Kiara pauses filling up the bowl with saltwater when a wave of nostalgia comes over her. She smiles to herself, looking to the sand. "Surfing competition."

"Figures." Cleo clicks her tongue. "You're gonn' have to teach me and Sarah how to surf. Gotta overthrow those raashole boys."

The other girl smirks at this. "I like your thinking."

Kiara returns from the water with a bowl full. She sits on the sand and grabs a decent sized rock from the firepit before carefully lifting Cleo's ankle and placing her atop of the grey surface. The girl reaches over for a half eaten coconut. She had read somewhere that coconut can promote wound healing although she isn't sure how accurate that is. Regardless, what does she have to lose? Well, Cleo's toe could be lost but she doesn't say that aloud.

"This is gonna sting shitless," Kiara tells Cleo whilst holding up the saltwater bowl.

"Get it done, girl. Ain't no need to delay what's comin'."

So Kiara doesn't delay it further and begins slowly pouring the water onto Cleo's toe. She hears the other girl hiss but her foot stays rooted where it is despite how much Cleo wants to flinch away from the salt burning her skin. The Carrera girl keeps the flow going, trying to get the entire wound covered in the saltwater. The blood washes away and reveals a decent sized hole in Cleo's big toe. It's definitely not a pretty sight and doesn't stop bleeding. Hopefully Sarah and Pope get back soon.

Cleo noticed Kiara wearing JJ's bandana around her neck again when she arrived. It's only now that she decides to bring it up in a bid to draw her attention to something other than the salt biting at her fresh wound.

"So you and rude boy, eh?"

Kiara bites her gum in shock at the question and barely withholds a yelp. She fights a blush. "What about JJ and I?"

Cleo chuckles at her response. Both JJ and Kiara are as transparent as glass. Apparently they're as oblivious as each other as well. She doesn't understand how everyone other than them can tell that there's a lot more to their relationship that meets the eye.

Has Kiara seriously not realised how she's holding her feelings out in the open? She hasn't recalled any difference in her actions since the shift and the realisation, minus a few more sneaky looks at the blond Maybank boy. And maybe that she holds eye contact with him for longer than she used to. But surely it's not that detectable for others to pick it out. Yet Cleo openly called her out for it. Not much gets past the perceptive girl.

And Sarah. She noticed the shift too. Maybe it is really obvious.

Shit.

"I didn't slap you across the face, Kiara. Don't be so shocked. You know exactly what I'm talkin' about." Cleo has a small smirk on her face. Kiara's expression must've shown surprise.

Kiara composes herself and lifts an eyebrow. "Do I?"

"No need to fib, surfer girl. You got no seaweed in your ears." Cleo blows out a long whistle. "You're in so deep that you're drownin'."

Yeah, drowning in JJ's eyes.

Kiara barely stops herself from clearing her throat at the invading thought and instead focuses on flushing out Cleo's toe. "You think I'm drowning?"

Cleo grows a half smile. "Well you barely keeping your head above water."

Kiara fights her own smile by biting her lip. Cleo sees this.