Rough Seas

DAY TWENTY

JJ had spent the morning and early afternoon avidly and expertly trying to avoid Kie.

For what reason? Well, to distance himself from her emotionally, of course. He believed keeping away from her would do him good. Nothing like some intentional avoidance to try and lessen his feelings for her, right? Like come on, surely that would work. It's pretty foolproof, JJ reckons. Purposely evading her meant that he wasn't subjected to those warm brown eyes and fiery personality and long environmental spiels that he secretly enjoyed listening to.

So JJ woke up well before Kie and took an eternity whilst hunting – he made sure to spear breakfast at a different beach so she wouldn't find him. Then he returned later than usual with his catch because he specifically knew that Kie goes berry picking during the late morning most days, and luckily today she was. When she arrived back with handfuls of fresh berries, JJ was helping Cleo clean her wound – although he gagged a little at the sight of the gaping hole in her big toe. Kie assisted a little but JJ was gone before she could say anything to him. Then he went and showed sudden interest in being taught how to weave fronds together by Sarah. He had no doubt that she found it unbelievably bizarre but decided not to question it and taught him how to do it nonetheless. Then he played Checkers with Pope on their handcrafted board whilst John B and Kie went off to do whatever.

Of course they're together, he thought bitterly. But then again it's JJ's own fault that he's not hanging out with Kie because he's the one actively steering clear of her.

JJ can't deny that he isn't finding it hard. Cause it fucking is.

JJ and Kie are like alcohol and weed at a bonfire – you need both to have a good time and each one makes everything all the more enjoyable. Without having both together then nothing is as electric and fun. JJ feels bored without her presence. Don't get him wrong, he absolutely loves hanging with the other Pogues but Kie – she's closest with him and he's closest with her. They each know how to have a great time and they know how to bring each other up if one isn't.

But now that he's keeping his distance, JJ feels bored without Kie. In a sense he feels kind of lonely even though he has four other friends to talk and do stuff with. She's just different. Kie is just so different. They breathe adventure and the exhilaration that comes from it. He feels a different kind of alive when she's with him. Her passion and stubbornness and confidence is leaps and bounds more enjoyable than the blandness of those desperate Kooks and Tourons that want to end up in bed with him.

Kie is a fresh breath of air. She doesn't worry about designer clothes or Island Club events, all she cares about is smoking beers and drinking weed and seeing if the surf is any good so she can catch some tasty waves with the other Pogues.

Kiara Carrera is like no other girls that he's met. She doesn't drop to her knees at the sight of him. She doesn't take unnecessary bullshit. She is headstrong and loyal to her end. She is smart and cares about the Pogues with everything she's got. She could and would have anything handed to her on a silver platter but she doesn't give two shits about that. She wants to be free from her Kook background and overbearing parents. She wants to be with the Pogues because her heart beats well and truly for them. They're her home and she's his family. She is also downright gorgeous and everyone should be able to see that.

And that's why he likes her even though he shouldn't.

The Maybank boy knows this is all for a good cause, not that Kie would ever understand – he wouldn't tell her exactly why he's staying away from her. He needs to do this because he'll hurt her more if he doesn't. He'll ruin her, infect her, and he can't afford that. His feelings are becoming overpowering and are threatening to come to light. The island has dialled them up by who fucking knows how much. He wants to tell her how he feels, truly, but he knows it's better not to be impulsive about this. For once he's aware that being reckless will do more damage. To try, as Cleo puts it, is to risk so much he does have.