The One Who Understands You

DAY THIRTEEN

The Pogues have been stranded for almost two weeks, at least that's what the lines on the cave wall tell them, and tensions are rising.

Poguelandia has been a blessing in many ways. Freedom from unruly parents, freedom from unbearable social classes, freedom from killer fathers, freedom from the hunt of long lost treasure. It has been amazing, truly. They've lived on a high for the past thirteen days, minus when Kiara fell ill.

But everyone is tired, they have been since they got here but they've been riding a dream so it didn't hit them until now. Their bodies are sore and they've thinned out. They're sunburnt and hot and dehydrated most of the time. Not to mention the taste of fish and coconut is becoming bland and not booming with flavour like it used to. So they've reached an impasse because they're so glad to be here but they're getting sick of the same thing over and over again at the same time.

This is the first time that Kiara has thought about possibly going home. It's fleeting but it's there. Not even when she was sick did she think about it. It's just that she's exhausted and every part of her body hurts now. All. The. Time. She loves it here, she truly does, of course she does, but there are things from her previous life that she can't help but recall and want back. Maybe it's not that she wants to leave, it's that she misses aspects from the Outer Banks that she doesn't have here.

So these past couple days have seen tension beginning to brew between the Pogues. Cracks are forming and they could so easily turn in crevasses. Arguments, although small, have been more common. When they eat it's become more silent. No longer are they hooting and howling in excitement. The strain is bearable, until it isn't.

Everything blows up when Pope suggests that they build a large wooden structure that they can set alight to signal for help if they see any boats or planes.

"What?" JJ's words are sharper than Cleo's knife. A storm cloud comes over the group then.

"It's just in case. We've been here for thirteen days and we haven't seen anything from civilisation. What if we miss an opportunity because we weren't prepared and then have to wait double the time for rescue?"

"Rescue." JJ scoffs, extremely irritated. Why would he want to be rescued? The OBX has given him nothing good. He never wants to go back.

"Yes, JJ, rescue. We can't live here forever," John B pipes up sternly from beside Sarah. The Maybank boy's eyes begin to flame.

"Sure we can! We'll live off the land like we have for the past two weeks," JJ exclaims and gestures wildly to the land around them.

"And how long will that sustain us, JJ?" Pope challenges, narrowing his gaze. "It won't."

Kiara doesn't like where this is going, and it seems as though Cleo doesn't either by the uncertain look that they share. Sarah has grown uncomfortable.

JJ grits his teeth. "Well we'll make it fucking work."

John B decides he wants another piece. "Things won't just work if we don't have any fucking food or water or medical supplies. Get that in your fucking head, JJ!"

Kiara physically cringes that the confrontation has already reached the level of yelling. She knows she'll have to get involved sooner or later but she fears the direction it'll go as soon as she does.

Cleo surprisingly jumps in, her voice level. "You guys are tweaking and so wassy. Chill out."

Unfortunately her words just make JJ more agitated. He's on his feet now. Kiara sits taller, the tension bubbling at the lid.