Chats That Change The Night

DAY TWENTY-FIVE

The night sky above Poguelandia is contrasted by the white speckles of burning light. There's a little breeze and the waves rolling in from the Atlantic Ocean are calm and soothing. The air is still warm despite the sun having set hours ago as the moon illuminates the beach, bathing the sand in a silver glow.

The Carrera girl looks out into the dark sea whilst seated on the far side of the beach away from the camp, exactly like she did on the first night. The other Pogues are all sleeping, leaving Kiara alone to her thoughts.

This time she isn't swallowed by the biting guilt because she ducked and JJ got hit in the head by that machete. It still replays on her mind but not overwhelmingly. The girl can handle the scene playing out in her head and she won't deny that she does think of ways the whole thing could've been avoided and where her best friend didn't get hurt. But she saved him in the end and that's all that matters. He's here with her on this island where they're living out the surf trip that they talked about.

Kiara would've gone to their secret spot, or the Cat's Crack as JJ likes to call it, but she didn't want to worry the other Pogues by disappearing. It's not as if she could tell them where she went or the cove wouldn't remain a secret. Either way, she probably wouldn't be able to find her way there in the pitch blackness.

They're closing in on a month being stranded and Kiara has noticed that all of their appearances have changed in one way or another. JJ's hair has become even brighter and longer since she first noticed it on day eleven. Kiara's hair has virtually gone from really dark to being streaked with prominent bleached highlights. John B's skin is even more sunkissed than before. Pope's own hair is a lot bushier than usual. Sarah's darker roots have come through and Cleo looks a lot older than when they first arrived on Poguelandia.

And they've all grown as people too.

As a group, they've all become closer in the face of surviving. They've had to problem solve without the help of Google – the Pogues have truly realised how much they actually rely on it. They've had to be smart about how much they eat and how much they drink. They've had to try and avoid getting injured – well, JJ isn't necessarily trying, Kiara is more the one reeling in him when he thinks of doing something moronic. But they've survived together and they've traversed the highs and lows together, Pogue style.

Kiara shifts her gaze from ahead to her right when she hears an obnoxiously loud yawn. Of course it's JJ. Who else would have no mind to keep silent when it's night and the others are sleeping?

Kiara rolls her eyes but huffs an airy laugh. "Hi."

"Sup." JJ yawns loudly again and she narrows her eyes for him to shut up. "What are you doing up? Practicing weird voodoo, spirit shit?"

The girl quirks a smirk. "Oh yeah, totally. With my crystals and glass balls." Kiara wiggles her fingers in front of her and resists against the laughter bubbling within her.

JJ chuckles and sits with less than half a foot between their arms. "And how's that working out? Any out-of-body experiences?"

"Now that you're here, no," Kiara says pointedly but doesn't truly isn't annoyed in the slightest that he's here with her. It's just them.

"Come on, I can channel my inner zen." JJ crosses his legs and he lightly bumps against her. He places the back of his hands on his knees, straightens his back and presses his fingers together. He hums to himself and closes his eyes. Kiara just rolls her own eyes at his antics, fighting a grin.

JJ drops his mediation position and places his elbows on his bent knees.

"You're not going to cry on me again, are you?" He jokes, referring to the first night. But JJ knows he's being serious. He hates seeing her cry. Make that number three on things he likes to avoid. Bad weed is shit but seeing his best friend – who he wishes for something more with – cry is so much worse and painful to bear witness to.