Exploration Date

DAY SIX

By day six, the Pogues have a sort of daily system in place. In the morning JJ would go off to catch some breakfast and Kiara would join him. She'd watch every time, observing his movements and the way the gears turn in his head as he stalks. He never forces her into hunting and she appreciates that. She'll ask him to teach her how to do it when she's ready.

Afterwards, Kiara would go off and gather edible plant life and JJ would join her despite having a fish waiting on the end of his spear. She would tell him that he could go back to camp and cook it up but he'd respond that he's there in case of 'pirate attacks', to which Kiara would respond with "so you'd slap them across the face with a fish? That'll end well." Then JJ would go on a tangent about ways he could beat pirates with a fish. She made a wise decision to just leave it after that.

The Pogues would eat whatever JJ caught and Kiara brought and then they'd get to collecting firewood, coconuts and adding to their growing shelter. They'd talk or play games or body surf which filled most of the day and before sunset JJ would go hunting again – Kiara would join him, of course – and they'd eat some dinner before chatting and falling asleep.

It was pretty routine. There was stability that the Pogues hadn't had in awhile which made it easy to adapt to island life. For once they could take a step back and not worry about treasure. They could just enjoy life whilst walking instead of running from countless dangers.

One thing that JJ has been itching to do is explore the island. They've kept relatively close to their camp but the group has almost been on Poguelandia for a week and the Maybank boy wants to embark on a new adventure. He wants to see what his new home truly has to offer. He wants to know what more they can find here.

"I reckon Kie and I explore the northwest quadrant and Cleo and Pope explore the northeast quadrant of the island, you know, to get a lay of the land," JJ suggests. He lies with his back to the sand, throwing a stone up to himself and catching it.

Kiara pulls a face, glancing his way. "This isn't the Crain Estate."

He meets her gaze. "You never know, Kie. There could be an axe-murderer on this island and we wouldn't even know." Kiara naturally rolls her eyes at this.

"And us?" John B gestures to Sarah and himself.

"Uh..." JJ pauses throwing the rock and sits up. He goes to make some sexual joke but John B throws his hand up.

"You know what, don't answer that question."

"Are we looking for anything specific, chief?" Cleo questions, pocketing her knife.

"Like food or fresh water?" Pope asks and flips his shirt over his shoulder in readiness.

Kiara sighs dreamily. "Some fresh water instead of coconut water would be nice. It hasn't rained since we got here."

"What do you mean, Kie? Drinking from a coconut on a deserted beach is like the ultimate representation of paradise," JJ says and arms himself with his spear.

Kiara picks her own one up off the sand and points at him with it, grinning. "Nah-ah, you're missing coconut bras, colourful leis, floral shirts and a flamingo floatie."

"And Crocs."

"And Crocs," she confirms, matching his enthusiastic look.

Cleo raises an eyebrow at the interaction, smirking subtly. She clicks her tongue and kicks a small spray of sand at Pope's ankle. "Ready to go, Pipe?" He sends her an affirmative nod.

"Let's hit it!" JJ makes the sound of static into his hand and bounces forward. "Recon mission. Whoo!"

Kiara shakes her head at his stupid antics but she can't withhold the smile teasing her lips. She follows after him, the shaft of her spear resting lazily against her bare shoulder. JJ and Pope bid "be safe's" to one another whilst the girls simultaneously roll their eyes. The two pairs head their separate ways, JJ and Kiara setting their course west.