𝟥𝟣 𝖦𝗎𝗇𝗌, 𝖫𝗈𝗍𝗌 𝗈𝖿 𝖦𝗎𝗇𝗌

One of the artifices of Satan is, to induce men to believe that he does not exist-
Charles Baudelaire

"The agency your father worked for has been horribly corrupted. He nodded at the team of hackers. "We're trying to fix the whole damned system." He leaned forward, as if he was a tribal elder, telling a terrible, sad tale. "This war of attrition has been raging for over ten years. We have digital armies all over the world fighting the enemy." Thanatos gestured to the young male and female hackers of all ethnicities, feverishly working at their stations.

A young woman with a halo frizz of hair lifted her hands from her computer keyboard and looked up. Her face was a mask of unflinching concentration. "Sir, Agent Darrow is en route. His ETA is thirty minutes."

"Thank you, Quari." He nodded and she refocused her attention on her screen.

"Who's this enemy you're fighting?" Evelyn asked. She raised her hand in protest. "You don't have to convince me they exist. They just tried to blow us to smithereens. I want to know who they are."

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you." Seeing her determination to understand, Thanatos acquiesced. "These corrupt elites have been in power for hundreds of years. They control everything. Or almost everything, but now they're very close to achieving world dominion. The Illuminati are descended from the ancient Phoenicians. These are the shadow rulers who have governed for thousands of years by keeping their agendas hidden from public view."

Vincent nodded. "And what do all men with power want? More power." He grunted in disgust. "They don't hide it. They spelled it all out in The Matrix Reloaded."

Raymond frowned. "I agree. No matter who's in charge of world governments, nothing ever changes. Why do you say these shadow rulers are close to achieving world domination?"

"The banking system's being overthrown as we speak." Thanatos answered. "Collapsing it's their final step in controlling the world before they cull the population." He said this with inarguable finality. "They can't have anyone interfere when they seize control of the military." He looked meaningfully at Raymond.

Deedee looked skeptical. "Those are all conspiracy theories."

Thanotos watched her carefully and then inclined his head. "As they want you to believe. Perhaps it would be better if I had the Aquarian show you. Please come with me. There's someone I want you to meet." Thanatos led them to an elevator. The group descended five levels to an unmarked floor. When they exited the elevator, they saw a high-speed tube station. The air was surprisingly fresh.

"Where does this underground rail travel?" Raymond asked.

"Various D.U.M.B.S all over the country." The high-ceiling tunnel lit up as a rail car arrived with a soft whooshing sound. The aerodynamics on the silver transport were so smooth there was no buffering draft.

"So that's how you and your people move about undetected." Deedee looked at Thanatos for confirmation. He nodded.

"It's not only cyber warfare; it's also an underground battle. They've had the advantage of controlling these deep underground military bases for over fifty years. They create wars, destroying undeveloped countries so they can feed the war machine. There wouldn't be any armed conflicts if they were stopped."

Deedee nodded. "It's not that much of a secret. I've seen their sick ass war memorial at the Denver airport. That Apocalyptic red eyed Blucifer horse statue gives me nightmares!"

 That Apocalyptic red eyed Blucifer horse statue gives me nightmares!"

Thanatos grimaced. "One of the many underground cities we can't free. There are thousands of poor wretched souls underground in Denver who've never seen the light of day." Evelyn shuddered, horrified by what he was saying.

"Come." The enigmatic commander led them past the rail station and through the floor-to-ceiling glass doors into a lavish underground apartment.

"This Dr. Evil lair is obviously the central nervous system of your operation," Deedee observed.

In the shadows, a long-haired woman close to Raymond's age sat perched in front of three computer screens, taking up most of the luxurious apartment's back wall.

"Satoshi." Raymond exclaimed, equally horrified and surprised.

"I'm glad to see you're alive, Ray." The striking, leather-clad woman stood up and walked over to them.