Chapter 23

A/N: So at this point, I'm going to try to update more frequently - like one or two chapters a day because I've got them all written, they just need to be published. 

Thanks so much for reading!

--------------

"Harry!" Louis's voice rings through the room. 

Harry glances over to see him pinned behind a control console, ducking out every so often to shoot at the advancing group of Purge troopers. 

They'd only made it a few feet before the room had filled with enemies again, much more than before. Louis and Harry had to stop their sprint to the door to take cover.

Now, Harry's got his back pressed against the cool metal of a control panel, pistol held ready against his chest. 

"What's the plan?" Louis calls from where he's hiding a few feet away.

"Get out without getting shot," Harry replies. 

"That's a very specific and not at all vague plan, thank you darling," Louis rolls his eyes. 

"You're welcome."

"You're actually the worst," Louis grumbles, ducking back behind the console as a bullet whizzes past his face.

"Hold that thought," Harry instructs as a crackling sound comes from the radio on his belt.

"Officer Cox?" Liam's voice asks, still using their fake names. "Do you copy?"

Harry pulls the radio off his belt and holds it to his mouth. "I copy, but we're a little busy right now, Li."

"We've made it outside through the back," Liam tells him. "Everything's ready, are you and Louis out yet?"

"That's a great question," Harry says, cursing as a trooper rounds his little panel and shoots at him, just missing his head. Harry sends a bullet into the man's chest, and he crumples to the ground. 

"Due to the sound of gunfire coming from your end, I'm going to assume you ran into some problems?" Liam says. 

"Just a few," Harry grumbles as he watches Louis shoot down two troopers at once on either side of him with both of his pistols. "Taking care of it though."

"Do you need backup?"

"No, just get away. I'll call you when you need to blow it up."

"Okay," Liam says. "Let us know if you need help. We're right outside."

"Yep." Harry attaches the radio back to his belt and glances over at Louis.

"They're ready," he tells his boyfriend. 

Louis nods and moves from his sitting position to crouching on the ground. He stays low, trying to avoid the gunfire, but the troopers are advancing steadily, trying to scare them out of their hiding places. Harry's honestly surprised they haven't reached them by now, but the room is large, and Purge troopers aren't known for their speed.

"We need to get out of here," Louis says. 

Harry nods. "I say we just run for it. Staying here isn't doing anyone any good."

Louis meets his eyes. "You sure?"

"It's dangerous, but in all honesty," Harry says, "I think it's our best chance."

"You're right," Louis agrees. "But hey, if we don't make it-"

"Don't even say that." Harry shakes his head.