I shrug, "You understand more then you think, I bet."

I've dragged her to many of Trevor's games over the years so I know she knows more than she thinks.

I sit on the couch and Mallory sits on the floor where her sewing machine is set up on the coffee table. She starts to make her changes while I watch the game and just wait for her to tell me to put it on again.

Four more times during the first period and the first half of the second, she makes me put on the dress which she then circles me like a shark a few times then makes me take it off again and makes more alterations.

Now, there's ten minutes left in the second period and the score is 3-2, Vegas. I'm anxiously watching the game as Mallory sews something on the back on the dress while I'm still in it.

"Fuck," I mumble watching one of the Vegas players finish his check, sending Jamie into the wall. The glass shakes, it looks hard and painful. I close my eyes cringing and hear the announcers say, "The play is still going but Drysdale is still down on the other end of the ice."

I quickly open my eyes staring at the screen. A second later there's finally a whistle and the camera goes back to Jamie, who's still on the ice, very slowly starting to get up. My heart beat starts to speed up as Strome, Jones and one of the referees skates over to him.

Mallory's also now watching the TV as they help him stand up. I can see Jones talking to him but I can't tell what he's saying. Jamie's head is hanging low, so I can't see his face but I can tell by the way he's slowly skating and how he's holding his arm he's hurt bad.

"Hand me my phone, please,"  I say to Mallory. She leans over and grabs it from the couch, handing it to me. Her eyes are also now focused on the TV screen as she hold a pin between her teeth.

They keep the camera on him his whole way off the ice. When he gets to the bench, my brother is pushing past everyone to try and talking to him. I can't tell if Jamie says anything back but Trevor pats him in the back as he heads down the tunnel. 

I want to call Jamie but his phone is probably in the locker room, same with my brothers.

Turcs! Maybe Alex is at the game! I quickly go check the Ontario Reign's Instagram, and according to their story posts they're at an away game in Arizona, so nope.

I just text my brother a few times:

call me as soon as you see this

please trevor

if you don't call me as soon as you see these i'm gonna fly to california and beat your ass

i'm being so fucking serious too

i need to talk to you it's urgent

"You can go change," Mallory says quietly.

"In a sec," I say looking back up at the TV screen, listening to the announcers chat about the hit on Jamie as it replays in slow motion on the screen.

Fuck, fuck, fuck. 

-

"Why did you text me-" Trevor says once he finally calls me back almost an hour and a half later.

I don't even let him finish talking before I say, "Is Jamie okay? Have you heard anything yet? Have you seen him?"

Mal and I watched the rest of the game in silence while my brain went through every possible outcome. The only update they announced on TV was that he wasn't returning to the game. Which I think was pretty obvious, but whatever.

lucky star // jamie drysdaleOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara