12.She Failed To Say It!

In the twinkling of an eye, Ventôse arrived, spring was drawing near. Yet the Percys were faced with a heartbreaking separation.

Philippe was to accompany Andre to the Republic's border frontlines.

Aunt Adele had spent sleepless nights worrying before her son's departure.

"Motherland needs me in her time of peril, Mother," Philippe reassured her. "You should be proud of your son. The great General Dumouriez will lead us to victory, just as he did at the Battle of Valmy!"

Margot tried to console her mother. "Brother is just accompanying the army as an overseer and representative of the people. They don't have to be involved in any dangerous battles! He will definitely return to you safe and sound."

On the morning of their departure, Edith arrived late.

When she hurriedly came, lifting the hem of her skirt, she saw two men already in their starched and handsome military uniforms standing by the carriage, ready to leave.

Her family was gathered together. Margot hugged her brother tightly once again, while Aunt Adele continued to weep despite everyone's persuasion.

Andre stood alone, his back turning towards her, looking aloof and orgulous. His blonde hair, parted down the middle, cascaded over his shoulders like a waterfall, shimmering in the faint sunlight with a cold glow.

Upon hearing her footsteps, he turned his head. At the very instant he recognised her, the braced corners of his mouth and the muscles in his cheeks relaxed in a moment, and a joyful sparkle flickered in his eyes. But in the blink of an eye, he remembered that there were other colleagues and attendants around, forcing himself to regain his unsmiling and stern demeanor.

She slowed down her steps and approached him. This time, she finally experienced that unique duality of Andre's: in the National Convention, in front of his comrades and enemies, he worked hard to tame his emotions, turning himself into a sharp sword flashing with cool light. Only in their home, in front of her, did he briefly let go of his forceful self-discipline, revealing his tender and romantic nature.

This kind of him made her involuntarily want to get closer. His lips still maintained the relaxed state from just now, although not plump, at this moment looked very soft. She almost had an impulse to kiss them.

Neither of them spoke, just getting closer to each other, close enough for her to feel his hot breath on her nose.

But then Philippe walked over.

"Andre, we really should depart now," he reminded.

Then the illusion vanished. He regained his indifferent and unapproachable temperament.

Edith and Margot stood with Aunt, watching the carriage disappear into the distance.

"I failed to say it!" the girl thought sadly.

-----------------

In the afternoon at Madame Roland's house, Edith remained in the clouds.

"Is something on your mind, my dear?" Madame Roland noticed her abstraction.

Edith, caught in her own musings, blurted out without context: "He's gone, but I failed to say it until the end!"

Madame Roland, however, seemed to understand the hidden meaning behind the girl's words immediately.

She seized Edith's hand, her voice filled with a surge of emotion, as if not directed at Edith, but plainting her own destiny: "Ah, while you're still young, while you can still love, cherish your love with all your heart!"