E15: TT

A/N: Boy, this has been a long week. First some... unfortunate thing... then, TWICE tickets (I got seats for Atlanta!), then a Stray Kids concert (the boys did great and the SET LIST CHANGE UP had me in tears), and now it's Mina's birthday!

In celebration of the wonderful woman who inspired this book, here's a new chapter of it!

Min-sik became something of a homebody over the next few days. He only went out to attend practice or go shopping, and he spent most of his free time reading. It was a little boring, but for once, Min-sik was fine with it; it allowed him to dedicate more time to his new specialization.

As Min-sik watched the boys practice for the third day, he could feel something was off. Their choreography was free of any glaring mistakes, but somehow the metronome they were using made it harder to follow. Min-sik had learned that Kyung-soo had not only been insistent on using the metronome, he had edited the song file so the metronome always played over the track.

Choreography was obviously structured on specific subdivisions of rhythms, but the mid-space between each little move was just as important as keeping beat—at least, according to the various YooToo videos Min-sik had used to study up. Min-sik thought of it like interpolation: they were almost performing at a lower frame rate, where the metronome compensated for the extra frames.

He decided to see for himself. After they took a silent break, Min-sik pulled out his phone and recorded their performance in the mirror. He spent the next twenty minutes editing the video on his phone: getting rid of the sound and replacing it with a metronome-free version of the track.

Min-sik intently studied the edited video. The boys' movements were stilted. They relied too heavily on the metronome, and it caused them to be more forgiving about their performance. Whenever one of them messed up, they took up to an entire four count to get back on beat.

It was all well and good that Min-sik recognized this, but he had no idea how to tell them without getting flamed. He figured that it would be best to mention it to Ji-woon, since he seemed the most agreeable of the three.

"Uh, hey," said Min-sik, pulling him aside during a break. "How long have you guys been using the metronome?"

"The whole time," Ji-woon said. "I think it's pretty helpful, actually."

"About that..." Min-sik showed him the video. "I think you guys should start transitioning to practicing without it."

"Do we really get that off-beat?" Ji-woon craned his head towards the others. "Guys, come here!"

Seok-ju complied. "What is it?"

"Look at this." Ji-woon handed him the phone.