Chapter 16- Tracker Jackers

The five us work together to build a small fire next to the girl on fire and her tree and hang out for the night. How long can she really last up there?

We'll wait all damn day and night, it's not a problem, I am just want her gone. I have hated the girl from 12 from the start, when she stole the spotlight at the reaping.

After that, she only continued to piss me off. The press ate up her entrance at the Tribute Parade and then her and Peeta's pitiful attempt at selling "The Star Crossed Lovers From District 12".

She just doesn't get it. There are people like me who have been training their entire life for this opportunity. Training to win the right way and to bring honor to their district.

I deserve this opportunity to make District 2 proud and at the end of the day so does Cato. And I could say the same about Marvel and Glimmer.

When stunts are pulled like District 12, it is truly so disappointing because their fame is all luck. It doesn't work like that for us.

We work our so that our fame is so well deserved.

I prop my backpack up in the dirt and gaze up at the figure in the tree. I hate this waiting game.

My friends are giggling around the fire at Cato plays with his sword. Instead, I'm more interested in the lizard I see lurking around our small fire pit.

I take a few knives from my vest and wait quietly and carefully for it to get closer to me. When it does, it stops in its tracks and locks eyes with me.

I let my knife fly and it lands just above its tail. I draw another of my dainty knives from my vest and throw it forwards at the creature.

It lands a few centimeters ahead of my first knife. And that ladies and gentleman, is a midnight snack. I elbow Glimmer to look at my catch and she sticks one of her arrows through the lizards corpse excitedly.

We dangle in above the fire as we begin to cook my catch. No tributes are shown in the sky tonight which annoys me but no one says anything about it.

After we split and eat my lizard, I decide to take first watch tonight. I don't mind it.

I wonder what's going on back at home? I wonder if Cass is distraught over the fact that she can't sneak into Cato's bed every other night. Yes, I'm still thinking about that.

I wonder what Minerva is doing. I wonder what she does when she isn't watching the games. I hope I'm making her proud.

I wonder whats going on in the Academy and what the students think of performance so far. Every year they stream the games on a big screen throughout the day while the gym classes continue.

I wonder how Dixon feels, watching two of his most skilled tributes in the same arena together knowing only one will make it out alive. I wonder what Enorbaria and Tamsynia are up to right now.

I collect my knives from the dirt and place them back in my vest. Cato's arm slaps my boots and I jolt out of my trance.

"You should get some rest, Clove. You look pretty tired," he whispers.

"Don't worry about me."

"I'm serious. I don't mind staying awake a little while longer," he insists.

"Ok," I whisper back.

I take my bigger knife out of my backpack, lay down on my side, and grip my knife tightly. Just in case.

I finally allow my brain to be silent and my eyes to fall shut.

****

I'm awaken abruptly by loud thump. My eyes shoot open and I watch as a million brown and black buzzing flys burst out of their nest. Fuck.