Chapter 5- Chance

Before the tributes are whisked away to the Capitol, we get a few moments to say goodbye to family and friends. I wait anxiously in a spacious room waiting to see the door handle turn.

My foot bounces quickly. You're fine. You're fine. You're fine. You're fine. I repeat to myself over and over and over again.

I AM fine. I am the best knife thrower in all of District 2. I can fight, I can throw, I can shoot, I can  survive in nature, I'm small and quick, I'm-

The door handle jiggles and Dixon walks in. I stand up quickly and throw my arms around him. I've never hugged my him before but right now I've never ever been happier to see anyone walk through those doors.

"Listen Clove, we don't have much time," Dixon states.

He called me Clove. To him, I've always been Kentwell. He means business right now.

"I want you to know, you did a very noble thing today for Minerva. You should be very proud of yourself and I am so proud to say, you're one of my kids."

His words bring tears to my eyes, but I have to be strong. I blink them away and keep my focus on the massive man in front of me.

"You are special, you've always been. I know you, and I know you don't feel prepared and wanted to do this as an 18 year old, but we can't change that right now. You are strong, you are talented, you are witty, and Clove Kentwell, you are enough. You are enough to win this thing. You have what it takes. You've been given the chance of victory. You know you can throw, get your hands on those knives, they will be there."

The door opens and two peacekeepers come in to tell us time is up. Dixon puts a hand on my shoulder.

"I'd wish you luck, but you don't need it. I'll be here when you come back with the crown Clove." 

He hugs me quickly before he is kicked out of the room and I'm left alone once again. I wipe the tears from my cheeks. 

No one has ever spoken to me like that before. Ever.

Minutes later, the door handle turns again. I expect to see my parents, but instead the Opals walk in. All four of them in tears.

They bring me in for a group hug. "Thank you, thank you so much Clove." Mr. Opal is whispering over and over again.

We break apart and Minerva clings to my leg tightly. I kneel down to be eye level with the young girl.

I trace her brown french braids with my fingers that are tied cutely with pink ribbons. I wipe the tears her from her eyes. 

"Don't cry, Min. I'll be back in a few weeks. I'll bring you a new bow and arrow made from Capitol gold and ten new dresses for you to wear to class. Thank you for giving me the chance to volunteer." I kiss her forward before standing back up.

I hug Mrs. Opal and she says to me, "Clove you can win this thing. You are beautiful, you will get so many sponsors, you can outsmart the others, and hell, you can throw. Good luck, my angel."

She places her hand a top of mine and pats it a few times. I smile back at her and turn to Cassiopeia.

She is trembling and her mouth is open again, but she is not forming words. Her lip just continues to quiver.

With all the strength I have in my body, I look at her sternly.

"Don't cry, don't feel guilty, and don't worry. I have lived next door to you my entire life. Sure we aren't best friends, I grew up with you and I consider you to be my family. Stay strong, I'll be back soon."

She nods and throws her arms around me. The door handle jingles again and Minerva throws her body back at me.

"Take this. It's my lucky ring. It protects me from evil. It is yours nows!" she cries.

I take it from her small palm and hug the Opals' quickly before the peacekeepers pull them away.

"I'll see you guys soon! Cass go say by to Cato, he's in-" the door slams shut.

"The other room." I say quietly to myself.

I look down into my palm and hold up the ring up to the light. It's a beautiful gold ring and engraved on the inside is the six letter word, C H A N C E.

Chance. Chance is her fathers name. This must be Chance Opal's old ring.

I smile to myself. For Minerva, the word Chance is the name of her father. For me, the word Chance is the assurance I needed to tell me I'm doing the right thing.

Chance. That's right, this is my Chance.

My chance to show everyone I, Clove Kentwell, have more than enough than what it takes to win the 74th Annual Hunger games.