Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Scarlet

I don't know what to think.

I've been lying on the ground staring up at the sky for god knows how long, just trying to process it all.

But to be honest, I think I knew it all along.

Something from the back of my mind has always been there, just barely hinting at the possibility. I remember voices, and colors flashing, and screams, but I never considered that I was... dying.

I was dying, oh my god.

Does anyone miss me? Does my family miss me? Do I have a family?

I want to cry, or scream, or do something. But I'm just numb. I've always been numb.

I take a breath and slowly sit up, taking in my familiar surroundings. What does this place mean to me? Was this playground a childhood memory? Did I come here often?

Did I die here?

I try not to flinch at the thought, but instead I inspect everything more closely, hoping that something would give me a clue to my past, or if this place had any relevance at all.

But all I see is a metal fence, and a rusty old swing set with a rusty old play structure, and the sea of woodchips under my feet.

What lies beyond the fence? What is past the deep glow of the sun?

I climb to my feet, wiping away any stray dirt before I slowly approach the edge of my confinement. I peek my fingers through the woven strips of fence, pulling my face flush to the metal and look as far as I can through the burning haze of the sunset. I can just make out the edge of the street, and I can almost see—

"Who are you?"

I spin around, caught off guard by the sudden voice. I haven't had a visitor other than Toby in a while.

He looks to be around Toby's age. Tall, curly brown hair, dark skin, deep brown eyes, and a dazzling smile.

"Hi." I say, stepping away from the fence.

"Are you my next fantasy or something? Because usually it's my girlfriend Jess but I mean..."

"God no!" I take a step away from him, scrunching my nose up in disgust. "This isn't that sort of dream!"

He holds his hands up in defense. "Okay, okay. I was only asking!"

I still watch him suspiciously, which only makes him laugh. "I wouldn't have anyways. Not to offend you or anything, but you're not really my type."

At that, I shrug. "For most people I'm not."

He rocks gently back and forth on the balls of his feet, shoving his hands in his pockets as he looks around. "Funny."

I raise an eyebrow. "Funny, what?"

"This place..." he trails off. "it's almost a spitting image of a park I used to go to as a kid. Weird."

My heart lurches. "Wait. You've seen this place?" I take a step closer to him. "Where? Tell me everything."

"Woah, woah, woah." He says, taking a couple paces away from me. "This is starting to get creepy."

"Really? Because I've been stuck here for what feels like damn years, I just found out that I'm dead, and that this could possibly be a place of high importance to me. And now you could maybe solve all that. Now that's creepy."

"Okay..." he trails off uncertainly. "well, if it makes you feel any better, I haven't seen you around before, uh...?"

"Scarlet." I answer him.

"Scarlet, right." He pauses. "I'm Cameron, by the way."

"Nice to meet you," I deadpan. "now answer my question."

"Wow, pushy. Okay." Cameron sighs. "To be honest, it's been years since I've been to that place, so I can't actually remember. I know it's here in Philly somewhere though, if that helps."

"Philadelphia." I whisper, the word almost foreign on my tongue.

"Yeah." Cameron looks at me with concern, before he smiles uncertainly and says, "Well, it was nice to meet you, but I better get going."

"Okay," is all I manage to say.

"Alright, well, see ya."

I barely watch Cameron go, too soaked up in my thoughts to even acknowledge him. All I can do is repeat the word Philadelphia over and over again, until it's ingrained into my mind. Now all I have to do is tell Toby.

It may be nothing, but it's all I can hope for.

Hey Hey Hi How ya doing Doing good? Good.

I'm sorry.

I know it's been ages and I apologize profoundly for my absence but I got a new shmancy lap top which didn't have Word which meant I couldn't open my files so I couldn't write and I just got it again today so everything is right in the world.

It's short, but I hope you enjoyed it regardless.

Don't forget to vote, comment, follow, and stay classy.

-Yours Truly.