01. Prologue

The pitter-patter of the rain was getting bothersome. Reaching out of cover, the pale hand of a man was soon filled with water. Stretching his fingers, his gaze, tired, observed the droplets sensing their freedom once more. Giyuu sighed at that. The rain didn't show any signs of slowing down.

The hashira meeting had gone by swiftly and without incident out of the rain and fog. Those that weren't expected elsewhere stayed, as offered by Oyakata-sama. Those that remained were Giyuu and Mitsuri.

"Tomioka-san, your bird's late again!"

Indeed, Giyuu didn't stand still because of his superior's invitation but because he was expecting a message and considering how hard it was for Kanzaburo to deliver them, he told the crow where to find him. "He doesn't have the same grasp on time as us."

Kanroji laughed but when she noticed he didn't even spare her a glance, her eyes widened. "Wait, you're serious?"

Wings spread wide, the wind went through his feathers as he slid himself gracefully amongst the trees with an idea in mind ; informing his master the swordsmith had finished creating his new sword. Kanzaburo failed so many times to stay in touch with his master that he wanted to fulfill this task and as he leaned forward, getting closer and closer to the floor he forgot....to stop. "Message for Tomioka Giyuu! Message for Tomioka-" He missed his landing, unable to reach his master's shoulder so he panicked ; flapping his wings, kicking the air with his week feet. "Giyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" He desperately called before falling, beak first into the grass.

"Kanzaburo!" the Hashira rushed to the animal's side, holding it in his hands.

The poor bird spits mud in his worried master's hands. "Message for you..."

"Kanzaburo..."

The poor bird was a shaking mess, trembling. The hashira's ocean eyes laid upon his companion whose feathers lost their glossy blue-black colour with time. They became dull. His vivid eyes were now tired. That's when it hit Giyuu. Kanzaburo was getting too old for all of this. Not to forget the bird tend to miss and forget.

"Tomioka-san, I think it'd be better if you faced it." Kanroji kindly advanced, glancing over the Water Hashira, worried for the bird.

447 words

Except this to be a slow-burn story
It will take time for them to fall for each other. Like 5 good chapters minimum for the first feelings to emerge and not the "declaration"
Also, do not fret, chapters will be longer than this prologue

Reminder that if you wish to find more of my demon slayer writings, you can always go check out my one shots and head-canon book