02. The ornithologist

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
Here is a little helper:
✏︎(y/n)=your name
✏︎(l/n)=your last name
✏︎(h/l)=hair length
✏︎(h/c)=hair color
✏︎(e/c)=eye color
✏︎(s/c)=skin color
✏︎(f/c)=favourite color

The words in italics represent thoughts.
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

In a dome-shaped canopy stood a young woman, dancing along with free fledglings, singing with squeaks as they did their best to fly steadily. It was their safe space to learn, discover and become a demon slayer trustworthy partner. Holding up the smallest birds, unable to fly, you ran around, encouraging them to stretch their wings out.

One started floating by himself. It squeaked excitedly as it flapped his wings, raising himself up.  "Kaiyō, look at you go!" He croaked happily as he landed as Oshaberi, his paternal, looked upon him proudly. Touched by this loving exchange, you sighed dreamingly. Speaking of familial bonds, your mother came to knock on the glass door. "You've received a letter from Oyakata-sama."

"Oh?" You sat on the cushioned chair and the crows, young and old understood they all shall return to their nest. Once your hands were free you reached for the envelope your mother held. You patted the chair next to yours, inviting her to join you. She did.

« Dear (y/n) (l/n),
the day you shall receive this letter, you are invited to today's Hashira annual meeting where your professionalism and knowledge shall shine. Especially by the side of the Water Hashira, in need of a new Kasugai Crow. I am assured that you will select the cream of the cream among your fledglings.

All my wishes of a safe travel

P.s: Your Wisteria House is required again

Kagaya Ubuyashiki»

"Oh, love!" your mother exclaimed, reaching for your hands. "This is the biggest honor! You giggled. "Mother, you act as if I never met Oyakata-sama. Shall I remind you I meet up with him quite frequently?"

"I meant..." her hand held yours gently. "Nor your father or grandfather ever met a Hashira." She breathed slowly, seeing that her words made you tense. "I only mean that it is an immense honour to meet those who swore their everything to protect others, their life is resumed in sacrifice." She cupped your cheeks in her soothing warm palm. "You will be perfect. Just be yourself and respectful." You smiled against her warmth. "Of course, mother."

•••

A new momentum invaded the household as everyone rushed to your bedroom to help you get ready or...to complain. "Why can't I go? I wanna go!" the youngest shouted. The eldest tried to reason with her: "It's not a visit, Suzume, it's a work meeting." At the top of her wisdom, the 10-year-old chose to pout. "Mom, mom, mom! Natoru said I'm useless!"

"I didn't say-" The poor man could only sigh and hope the school-aged girl's vexation would calm down quickly.

You turned your interest to an old wooden bowl, overflowing with wisteria petals. On the side was a music box ; the ballerina twirled and twirled. Next to the musical artifact laid your jewels. You slid your fingers who remembered the hardship of the making of these small pieces. You sighed as you fetched a few and started to slide them into your braided hair, their bright beauty shining within your (h/c) locks. Your mother, this elegant woman, twirled in the room among her children and reached for a silk garment. A long lavender skirt she had made for you as a gift. "You'd be so elegant with this! And Oh! You could wear those earrings! You know? Those dangling ones I love so much?" You reached at them, a bright wisteria-bathed purple. "These old things?"

"If you don't like them, give them to me!" Oh, was Suzume done pouting? You glanced over your shoulder and sure enough, she was still pissed, kicking the tatami with her small form. You really couldn't care less. Your mother, on the other end..."Enough of this childish tantrum. If you want to act like a brat, it's in your room where you won't bother or disrespect anybody. Did I make myself clear?" Ayaka (l/n)'s natural authority imposed itself yet again and so the girl stopped whining. Satisfied, the elegant woman went by the youngest side, loving herself against the smaller silhouette.

Feeling responsible for your younger sister's sadness, you faced her. " You know I'd bring you if it wasn't such a formal meeting." She nodded, her face half hidden in her mother's skirt. "So why did you make a pique?"

"I don't know. I guess I really wanted to come. I love being with (y/n)..." Touched by her honesty, you smiled. "I love being with you too." Leaving her mother behind she toddled toward you, smiling brightly, the gap in her teeth showing proudly. "Really?"

"CROAK."

Oh yes, every wholesome moment is always interrupted. It's a known fact in the universe. Often caused by birds, in your case.

Loving the attention he gathered, Oshaberi paraded "Who amongst your protected have you chosen?"

"Kaiyō." You smiled. "Don't you think your son will make a fine companion?"

"Forgiveness of the ocean!" shouted your companion. "I chose his name, so it's perfect! He's perfect. He's my son." How prideful this bird was!

•••

The way toward the estate was rough. The rain of the previous days turned the dusty trails into sticky and bumpy roads. At least you had your trustworthy friend upon your shoulder. Oshaberi, worthy of his name was very talkative. Very talkative. "Do you know why pickles are called pickles?"

You snorted. "No."

"Let me tell you!" He puffed his chest and you know there was no stopping him. "The word "pickle" comes from the Dutch pekel or northern German pókel, meaning "salt" or "brine," two very important components in the pickling process. Throughout history, pickling was a necessity, as it was the best way to preserve food for a long period of time." Oshaberi and his predecessors were your family's personal crows. Learning one generation after another, seeing your teachings day after day for years and years, there really was no surprise he could speak so fluently and be so intelligent compared to others. He took great pride in it and loved to make use of his unique dialect and intelligence. It could get on someone's nerves but as you were so lonesome...his company was more than welcome. Of course, there was your mother and siblings but by living and working together, there was "so much" you could chat about. "You sure tell me the most unusual things!"

He puffed his chest. "I do!"

And this made the travel so much easier.

Until you reach the domain's main door, that is. The tension you felt for hours hit you like a ton of bricks. "Just be yourself and respectful..." you said. "Learn. Enjoy. Serve. Respect." completed father and son.

And you entered the domain.

1163 words