Chapter 27: I Realize Something Monumental

Start from the beginning

"I want it all too," I whisper into his shoulder. "The good and the bad."

Viktor's arms wrap around me even tighter as he leans down so my feet meet the floor.

"Are you sure?" he asks, pulling back to meet my eyes, his hands still all over me—on my cheeks, my neck, my shoulders, my back.

I nod, sliding my hands up his chest. "I'm sure."

He pulls me back into his arms and holds me tight, a cool breeze brushing past us from his still-open door. He asks into my hair, "What makes you change your mind?"

I take a deep breath, inhaling the scent of him before I answer, "I still love you and it's agony to be without you. And you're so good at kissing, it's a shame to let that talent go to waste."

And it's always been such a gift that he knows exactly what I need and want in each moment, so I have to smother my grin when he leans down, his nose brushing mine, mouth opening to respond.

"Just kiss me," I tell him and grip his shirt to tug him closer.

"Aren't you going to tell me that you got the position?" he asks, pulling back a bit when I try to kiss him.

"You already know?" I ask, faltering a bit.

"The coach would be a fool to lose you," Viktor says and smiles. This time, he lets me kiss him when I lean up. The letter in my hand crinkles as I press it against his chest, my other hand wrapping around the back of his neck, fingers sneaking into his silky hair.

Viktor follows my lead in the kiss, one palm pressed against my heated cheek and the other pressing on the base of my spine. I'm up on my tiptoes to get as close to his body as I can, fighting to deepen the kiss when I feel him begin to ease away from me.

"No," I whimper against his lips when his hand drifts away from my back.

"The door," he whispers close to my lips. "And we have to talk about the position."

I sigh and drop back onto my heels, begrudgingly pulling away from him, letting my hand rest on his firm belly for a few seconds longer than necessary. When he shuts the door and ventures deeper into his house with a kiss to my forehead, I follow him with knees weak from his touch.

I suppose it's good that one of us has some self-control.

"Viktor," I say, and he hums in response as he reaches his kitchen, fussing with a kettle with his back to me. "Viktor," I say again and he meets my eyes. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" he asks.

"I'm sorry I've been so awful to you."

"No, you don't—"

"No, really," I say and grab one of his warm hands, slipping my fingers between his. "I am so sorry about everything. I haven't been myself lately, but that's no excuse for pushing you away and ignoring you all the time we were apart... I want you to know that I'm sorry."

"You know I do not blame you."

"After what you said when I came here last, about how you weren't sure I was even... alive. Well, I thought about it a lot. I never thought about it before because you... well, you and I are different, you know? If anything happened to you or anything, I would have known right away because you're you and people would have been talking about it. But you were right. I never reached out to you at all, so you had no idea what I was doing or where I was. I wasn't thinking about how you were affected. I was selfish."

"I do not think you were selfish," Viktor says. "That is never what I meant. I only worried for you."

"You're better than I deserve," I say and smile at him, squeezing his hand. He looks down at our hands pressed together and smiles as well, but his eyebrows are still drawn together. "What's wrong?" I ask him, leaning to brush my nose against his neck, subtly inhaling the smell of his skin, my lips following right after.

"I keep thinking," he says, his throat vibrating with each sound, "that this might be a dream."

"It's not a dream," I tell him and drop his hand to hug him, letting my eyes fall shut. "Do you want to know what I keep thinking?"

"What?" he asks, his hand sliding from my shoulder to the crook of my elbow.

"I keep thinking that I have to be the luckiest person in the world to know someone so wonderful who still puts up with me despite every mistake I've made."

Viktor kisses my eyebrow, his arms finding their place around my shoulders. It's nice—to be swallowed up in his arms like this. I realize how much I missed it now that it's happening again. And I know that he can't fix everything that happened, and I know that the past is complicated and painful still. But we have each other and, in the meantime, it's enough to just have someone who's on my side even when I'm difficult and temperamental. It's enough to have someone nearby while I focus on healing.

It's enough to have him.