"I'm fine, Becky," I told her, taking the bottle of water from her hand and talking a long drink. "You guys are just slave drivers, that's all."

In contrast to yesterday's storm, today had turned into a beautiful day. The sun was shining and I was feeling the effects in my vest and combats. It wasn't anywhere as hot as either of the warzones I'd served in, but it was warm enough. I wasn't looking forward to America's heat.

"Slave drivers!" she said with fake indignation, "I like that; here we are trying to encourage you to do well and you accuse us of being slave drivers. For that, Freen Sarocha, I'm tempted not to give you your present when we get to America."

"Present?" I said noncommittally, interested despite myself, but not wanting to show it. "Whatever."

She eyed me suspiciously before slapping me in the stomach with the back of her hand causing my to drop the water bottle.

"You git!" she said pouting. "You're supposed to be all disappointed and offer to take back the offending words." Her lips twitched as she pretended to frown at me, the smile very nearly breaking through. "That way I can relent, and tell you that you can have your present when we get over there."

I shrugged and pulled down my eye protection just to annoy her.

"What can I say, Bec?" I said casually as I lifted the rifle to my shoulder, "I have no doubt I'll get this present whatever I do... Ready when you are!" I yelled across to Jenna and winked at Becky before turning my back on her and getting ready. 

It was with a real sense of joy that I launched myself through the gate as soon as the light turned green. As I powered my way from target to target, I felt like I was properly myself again, like I was on top of my game and like I had never been injured.

It felt good, really, really good. I felt whole again.

"Again!" I yelled at Jenna as I sprinted across the finish line, grinning like a lunatic at the thumbs up she gave me as I crossed the line. I jogged back to the table where Becky was stood waiting, picking up another magazine and slotting it home.

"Freen, don't you think you should take a break?" she asked as Richie came over with a huge grin on his face. "You've been at this for hours now."

"One more run through, then I'll take a break."

"Good... because I'm bloody starving, it's nearly half one in the afternoon and we haven't eaten since breakfast."

"Should have got Andrew to bring some food down for you, Bec," Richie said patting his stomach contentedly. "Chef made me a fantastic hot sandwich, see me through until later."

"Won't make you any faster on this course, Richie," I told him, happy that it was just the three of us down here.

"Well, I won't get as fast as you Freen, that's for sure. James should be worried; that last run was incredible."

"Practice, Richie, that's all it takes. Lots of lots of practice."

"But no more practice today, Freen," Becky said firmly. "I want food, one more run you said."

"One more run," I agreed, realizing how hungry I actually was. "Then you can go and fill your stomach while I take a shower."

I walked across to the hay bales that marked our start, leaving the others behind me. I waved across at the waiting Jenna and readied myself, only half hearing Becky and Richie in the background as I focused on the targets, waiting for the light.

"So Bec, what's with you and Rambette over there?"

"What do you mean, Richie?"

"You seem very close, are you fucking your bodyguard by any chance?"