chapter 24: who's was it?

Binti woke up, she had no idea when she slept. She slept through the pain, she guessed.

She still felt some pain, like cramps. But she had to wake up. In a hurry and quietly, she wrapped the bed sheets, clothes and everything with blood.

She sat down for breakfast so that her mum doesn't suspect anything. She then walked to work by herself. She was feeling very weak but she had to. Normally she went to work with zazi or other maids but she avoided everyone. She found a place to burn the blood stain clothes. She watched as it burnt and tears ran down her face

She was still bleeding but it was more like drops compared to the previous day. Jacob wasn't home the whole day and she couldn't be more thankful.

Luke had some plans that day. He found an abandoned little hut and decided to take Nderu there. He wanted to spend the whole night just inside her. He couldn't do that in the storage and he was not taking her to his house.

He had asked Nderu to prepare the nest for them. She cleaned up the place, got help to remake the walls and put a little bed there.

She really hated this man. He was the one who beat and shot her husband. He constantly took her without consent. She just had to let him. She was a widow but still put up with this. Whether she wanted to or not, he would still get her.

She ended up with him there for a couple of nights. He would tell her to come to him in the evening and he would take her there and pound her all night.

That was the only times he took off his clothes and Nderu saw his body. He had a brown birth mark on his neck. It was unique, shaped like a butterfly.

She took it, she just took it all. She was a woman who couldn't even let herself conceive and now her husband died without an heir.

Nderu has been patiently waiting for her monthly bleeding but its been more than two weeks and nothing. Now the third week, now the forth. It was over a month since her husband died.

And still nothing, this made her scared. The herbs didn't work? But she never skipped.

What happened?

And if she was pregnant who's was it?

She didn't have her monthly after her husband died and they were always intimate because he believed it would increase their chance of a baby. And then there was Luke. Her first thought was to get rid of it. There was natural herbs to terminate a pregnancy. But what if the baby was her husband's? Then she would have killed his only heir. But what if it was Luke's? A child of her rapist?

The child wouldn't even be accepted in the village. She wouldn't even love it. She decided to wait. Keep the baby and see what it comes out as, black or white. If its black, she would keep it. If it isn't, get rid of it. She wasn't going to hold on it. But since it might go either way, she decided she would hide this pregnancy.

Mumbi, who was one of the medicine men worked overtime. This was because children were the most who didn't complete the quota, they got their hand cut almost daily. Some would die was a severe loss of blood. She got help from zazi to make the herbs.

This was a distraction from their loss. The children mattered and they did their best to help them heal.

Through that month, zazi had been ignoring sebastian and Anna. Binti had been distant and zazi spent most of the time with ondi when they were free. The awkwardness had died down and ondi was such a rock. Sebastian noticed this and got really jealous. He knew they were friends but no, no he didn't want anyone near his zazi.

She asked anna to take him to zazi's home one evening when he couldn't take it anymore. This break had taken a month, she left him hanging for so long. He needed to know where they stand.