chapter 22: it gets harder

The next day, the slaves reported to work but with a more gloomy environment. It was more harder to work when your heart is bleeding. When your spirit is broken. When your soul is torn apart. The pillars, the wisdom, the husbands, the fathers, the strength of the community was gone. Everyone was affected by this. The village mourned with dignity. Zazi, poor zazi, she loved her father will all her heart.

The man she had hoped would be her father in law, grandfather to her children, the father of the man she loved, killed him.

That morning she knocked on Anna's door.
"Come in." Zazi entered without saying a word.
"Zazi, its you. You know you don't have to knock, you never do."
Zazi didn't even look at her. She went to take the basket she puts her dirty clothes, carried them and started walking out.
"Zazi, wait!" Anna called out seeing as her best friend hadn't said a word to her.

"I'm sorry for what happened. If you wish to take some time off for mourning I can have that arranged."
Zazi just stood still not even turning to look at her for a few seconds then left.

Anna felt a sharp pain in her chest.
"Zazi, do you hate me?" Her voice broke. But zazi had already left the room. Her best friend didn't talk to her, let alone look at her. She was paying for her father's sin, just as she feared.

Jacob felt he had been going easy on this slaves.

He had instilled fear but that wasn't enough.

They had so much time on their hands to plan a revolution. But that will change. The reason why he had gotten Katrina and Betty was for this. There was a plan to mining his land, a tunnel had to be made.

There was gold deposits found. Katrina's family make jewelry and would buy the stones from him. He had a good market and would make more money.

He didn't want to spend any more money buying more slaves, he will use the ones he has from 5 year old children, take some from the farm and out them there, others from their homes. As long as they could carry a tray of minerals, they were old enough

He took the younger men and women. Including ondi.

He tried to take zazi but Anna made a fit.

She is the reason he never got his way with zazi. He never got a chance to and had to settle for Binti.

That girl, that zazi, the moment she hit puberty, he couldn't keep his eyes off her. He secretly watched her. She had this eyes, this smile, this body. She was perfect. She always caught his eyes even in rags. When she swam, her clothes clang to her body making her finger visible. He found himself following her whenever anna said they were going swimming and jut watch zazi.

During this time zazi felt someone was watching her. But she couldn't find them.

Jacob wanted fear. He wanted that fear. So he set some rules

They set a daily quota each slave was supposed to bring, whether its in the farm or the mine. Their work would be monitored every evening

If they didn't achieve, they would chop off their hand or legs.