4.

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

   The three followed Sturmhond bellow deck, into a large room filled with hammocks. The rest of the ship's crew was there, cheering and clapping as they entered.

  'What is the difference between a privateer and a pirate?' Mal asked, being the last to enter right behind Alina.

Rayna turned to him, walking backwards for a moment.

  'A privateer is a pirate with papers that making his doings legal.' She answered, missing the quick look Sturmhond threw her way.

  'Why do you even know that?' Mal frowned.

 Something flashed in Rayna's eyes, but the emotion disappeared as fast as it came. Mal didn't have time to notice it.

  'Yuri! I told you and apple would help.' Nikolai suddenly came to a stop, causing Rayna to almost crash into his back.

 To their left was a man sitting on what was supposed to be a toilet. Mal looked ready to throw up. Alina covered her eyes while Rayna just ignored him.

  'All right listen everyone!' Sturmhond threw his arms wide open.

 Once more Mal seemed ready to punch him at the same time Rayna cringed. She hated having that amount of attention on her.

  'Oh, for Saints' sake...' The tracker sighed, irritated.

 Having had caught all the crew's attention Sturmhond pointed at them.

  'The Sun Summoner, her stunning Squaller protector and...' He turned to Mal. 'Uh...you are?'

  Rayna buried her head in her hands, how was she supposed to travel and work with this man?

  'Malyen O-' The tracker started introducing himself.

  'A guest of the Sun Summoner.' Sturmhond interrupted him. 'I expect you to treat them with the respect I've come to know from you pack of liars and thieves.'

 The crew cheered again.

  'Come along, my darlings, come on, come on.' He gestured for the three to follow him.

 He led them to a quieter corner with three hammocks.

  'Now, you can have the tree in the back. It's the most private suit we have.' He told them.

 Alina placed her coat on a big wooden box next to the hammocks. Sturmhond fake bowed in front of the two Grisha women.

  'See you in the morning.' Even though he spoke to both of them his eyes were on Rayna who was completely ignoring his schemes.

  No problem, he did love a challenge.

  'Night watch, joining you on deck.' Were the last words he spoke before disappearing.

Mal sighed, holding Rayna's hand as she put her weight onto him in order to get on the box. She placed her legs under her and leaned back on the wall. The tracker joined her, sitting next to her, his legs dangling over the edge, almost touching the floor.

  'You have the top bunk.' He told Alina.

   'You need to rest. You have been up all night searching maps for the past few days. Rest.' Rayna added.

  'So have you.' She protested but climbed into the hammock anyways. 'Not exactly Novyi Zem, is it?'

  'No...or how I thought tonight would go either.' Mal gave Alina the eyes.

 Rayna placed her palm on his face, pushing him back.

  'Saints no. Not in front of me please.' 

 Alina laughed before laying down, closing her eyes. Mal took a book out of his coat and started readying while Rayna sharpened and cleaned her sword as silently as she could.

 After a while, when they were both sure Alina fell asleep, he shared his mistrust.

  'I don't trust Sturmhond.'

 Rayna sighed, putting her blade to the side. If she didn't know any better she would have said Sturmhond was like any other man, any other captain, arrogant, too confident in his power, ego bigger than the ocean. But she did know better. She had seen the way his eyes caught every move in a room, pried for any emotion on their faced. The way he used his words, always leaving loopholes. He was smart and he tried to hide it by being a cocky ass.

  'There is something about him that doesn't add up.' Rayna frowned, lost deep in thought. 'I believe there is a great deal he is not sharing with us, an ulterior motive.'

 Mal nodded. He stayed silent for a moment before turning his head to look at her.

  'Do you believe it to be true? What he said about Grisha from the little Palace and the camp being captured?'

  'I...' She closed her eyes for a moment, allowing her mask to crack for a second. 'I wish I didn't believed it.' She took a deep breath. 'Honestly, all I want to do is rush back and make sure my friends, my family is alright. But me going back wouldn't solve anything, this though, what we are trying to do will.'

  'Do you believe destroying the Fold would solve the problems between Grisha and men?' He asked her, looking lost himself.

  'For some time, I believe so, but not for long. That's why we need a good ruler, to be able to maintain the peace we would achieved by destroying the Fold.'

 Mal suddenly laughed, but it was full of grief, grief for a life he should have been living.

 'Saints, Ray. We are barely nineteen. Saving the world, being hunted everywhere we go, fighting a war, these should not be our burdens.' He spoke, sorrow in his voice and anger, at the world, at the Darkling, at the Saints, for taking away his life.

  'And yet it is.' She pushed his shoulder playfully. 'I won't say it again and if you ever tell anyone I will deny it, but...in the months I've come to know you, you carried the burned so well. You are not in her shadow, you are her sword, her protector. I wish, I wish someone would have fought for me the way you fought for her while dealing with your own issues at the same time.' She placed a hand over his heart. 'Your heart is good, so is hers, in the way most peoples' isn't.'

 Mal offered her a smile but a true one. Until then he hadn't truly realize how much he became to lean on her, to care for her.

  'So is yours, no matter what happened in the Fold.'

 Rayna froze.

  'Ray, I was there when you saved me. I'm not sure what happened, but it changes nothing, it doesn't define you.' He kissed her head. 'You should go rest as well.'

 The Squaller gave him a weak smile as she climbed into the hammock. She hadn't realized how tired she truly was until her head hit the dirty pillow. She prayed to the Saints for a deep peaceful sleep.

  The Saints denied her, for the next time she opened her eyes she wasn't bellow deck in a shitty hammock anymore. And there wasn't Mal or Alina's faces staring at her, no, dark eyes stared at her. Three long scars along his dangerously beautiful face.

  'Hello, little storm.'