Prologue

'ZOYA!' Rayna screamed, reaching blindly for Squaller, but she was not there.

 She rolled over on the ground in order to avoid the Volcra's attack. Throwing her hands forward she managed to send the beast back a few good feet. Neither her thunder or wind were enough to keep them at bay. She knew Alina was there somewhere on the ship, fighting the Darkling.

  Somewhere behind her someone suddenly scream, distracting her attention for a moment. That was all it took for the Volcra to hit again. Rayna felt herself falling, a burning pain in her abdomen. She hit the ground hard, groaning in pain. It was difficult to keep her eyes open. Around her people were screaming and fighting, the sun summoner's barrier keeping them safe now gone. She couldn't get up. She couldn't get up.

  Little storm.

She closed her eyes. It hurt too much. 

  Little storm. Get up.

 A face appeared before her closed eyes. She wasn't on the battle field anymore. A farm was before her, a kind looking man on a chair with two kids beside him. The littlest one with messy raven hair and dark eyes was closest to her. Her brother touched her face and spoke again.

 Little storm. Get up.

 Rayna shook her head, I can't she seemed to say. The little boy smiled. Too pure for this cruel world.

  But you must. For me then. Get up for me.

Not even before she couldn't deny him anything. So she did what he asked. She forced her eyes open, ignoring the burning pain. Pushing her hands on the ground, she lifted herself.

  Before her eyes she saw Mal losing miserably. She groaned in pain but forced her arms to move despite of it. The Grisha went flying away from Mal.

  'Traitor!' He screamed at her.

 She reached Mal and helped him up.

  'Alina.' Was all he said.

 But they didn't even take one step before they felt something shift in their body, their blood. Mal and Rayna fell to their knees. The girl lifted her head and watched as her supposed friend, a person she trained and grew up with smiled as he was torturing them to death. The familiar rage filled her, more powerful than any pain she felt.

 His smile fell as he watched pure lighting form in her hands. He lifted his gaze to her eyes, there was no mercy in them. She didn't hesitate as she hit him full force. A moment later she felt eyes on her. Looking up at the boat, the Darkling met her eyes with a surprised and intrigued look on his face.

   'RAYNA!'

 Zoya's voice broke her from her trance. She grabbed her hand, helping her back on the boat. As soon as her feet hit the deck the Squaller brought her in a quick tight embrace so unlike her. Rayna breathed in Zoya's perfume, the smell of home at the same time Alina exploded, claiming the amplifier.

 Minutes later they were out of the Fold. They all got off the broken ship, what was left of them at least. Standing by Zoya's side, Rayna noticed the strange group of four people, none wearing keftas.

  'Jesper Fahey at your service.' The Zemeni boy among them introduce himself while mocking a bow.

 But he was not the one she was staring at. Her eyes were on the raven haired one, the one needing to lean on a cane for support. Rayna could have sworn she had seen him before somewhere.

  'We should make a fire, it's getting dark and cold.' Mal spoke.

 Kaz averted his eyes nodding to his crew. They all sat down on the ground or wood as Mal made a fire. Everyone was caught in silent conversation.

  'You want to go back.' Rayna sighed, subtly moving a hand to rest on her abdomen.

 Some of the pain went away, there was no point in alarming Zoya more as she had just lot her aunt. So she clenched her jaw and ignored it.

  'I need...I need to know.' The Squaller responded while staring at the dirty ground.

 'It's dangerous to go looking for the dead. What you see may hunt you for the rest of your days.' It had been Kaz who spoke. He was shoving the necklace Alina traded him in his coat's pockets.

 Rayna closed her eyes. Memories flashed before her. One body in a broken home. The promise of both her brothers dead as well. Kirigan's cold hand on her shoulder.

  'Not going will haunt me more.' Zoya's reply came.

 Rayna stood up then, dusting off her blue kefta.

  'Then I shall come with you.'

 Zoya shook her head, her eyes going to Alina and Mal. A barely trained sun summoner and a tracker. Rayna didn't need her to speak the words to know what she meant, but she spoke them anyways.

  'They need you more than me. This is about more, this is about Ravka and the Grisha everywhere.'

 A battle seemed to be going on inside Rayna's head. She gave her friend, her only family left an conflicted look.

  'I'll come to find you as soon as I can.'

 Rayna sighed, averting her eyes to Alina and Mal for a moment. They indeed needed her. Ravka needed her.

  'If something happens to you I'm going to kill you myself.' She finally spoke.

 Zoya smiled, nodding in her direction. She said a brief goodbye to Alina and a few words of advice before she turned around to leave. When she passed by Rayna she stopped for a brief moment to whisper in her ear.

  'They can't know, Ry.'

 And then she was gone.

  'So it's just us then?' The one named Jasper said.

 'Just us.' Alina replied watching Mal and Rayna.