The First Cut is the Deepest

"Hey Jay?" You called, getting your friend's attention. "Hold up a second..."

You gently nudged the door and watched as it slowly swung inward. The darkened dining area of the bakery was quiet. Looking to the side of the entrance, you noticed the welcome bell was knocked off of the wall and sitting broken on the floor. Jaya followed as you silently entered the bakery.

"Maybe your mother just forgot to lock up?" She asked.

"I doubt it." You said sternly. "She's been running this place for nearly two decades and hasn't forgotten about it once." Senora Jones was always attentive when it came to her business. Jaya watched you kneel down next to the door and freeze.

"What is it?" Jaya asked worriedly.

"The lock's broken." You replied darkly, shooting back up to your feet. "Mom!" You called loudly into the building. When there was no answer, you ran toward the kitchen with Jaya following close behind. You frantically threw open the door to the kitchen, planning to go upstairs to your mother's room, but you stopped in your tracks at the door.

The sound of something dripping was the first thing that caught your attention. At first you thought it was your imagination, but then the scent of something metallic attacked your senses. Seconds stretched into minutes as your gaze slowly trailed across the tiled floor.

Bright red spread across white tile reflected in your eyes. A sound, not unlike that of an animal in agony echoed in your ears. It wouldn't be until hours later you would realize it was you who made that sound.

"Oh my god..." Jaya whispered, shocked by the scene in front of her.

"Mom...?" You murmured before rushing across the kitchen. "Oh-oh god please hold on!"

She was laying on her back, clothes completely drenched in crimson. There were massive wounds and gashes covering her chest and throat, all seeping with blood. Her eyes were dull as she gasped for breath. Sitting on the tile next to her was a butcher knife. Jaya rushed to your mother's side, quickly placing her hands on the gash in your mother's neck. You were in too much shock to move.

You tore your gaze from the awful scene only to find the back door of the kitchen was left ajar. Its lock appeared to be broken just like the front door. A pained gargling sound brought your attention back to the gruesome scene in front of you.

"Y-y/n..." Your mother gasped, seemingly fighting to speak.

"Don't talk." Jaya advised, still applying pressure to the wound on your mother's throat. "Save your strength."

"U-upstairs..." Senora Jones shakily pointed upward before her eyes closed.

"Ms. Jones! Please stay awake." Jaya pleaded.

"Jaya, you stay here." You ordered, finally regaining some sense. "I'm going to c-call an ambulance." You declared before rushing upstairs, skipping steps two at a time. You cursed the fact you didn't have a phone on the first floor. After getting to the phone, you nearly dropped the receiver from how hurried your actions were, but within a few seconds your shaking hands managed to dial 911. The hum of the call going through felt too long, but none the less, you were put through to an operator.

"Hello." A voice calmly came over the line. "What is your emergency?"

"M-my mom was attacked while I was out of the house." You explained hurriedly, fighting back tears and trying to remain calm. "Oh god...s-she really needs an ambulance she's lost a lot of blood." You continued, voice cracking as you gave the operator your address.

"First responders are on their way." The operator said calmly. "Can you stay on the line?"

Before you could answer a loud bang sounded from down the hall of where you were standing.

"Someone's here." You murmured into the receiver. The emergency personnel attempted keeping you from hanging up, but their advice went unheard as you dropped the landline receiver in favor of moving down the hall. As you approached the area where you heard the sound, the faint sound of scratching and muttering became more prominent.

Before long, you had quietly wandered into your own bedroom.

"What did you do?" You whispered, looking at the intruder. Said intruder, who was moments ago searching through your desk paused his movements and turned to you, an infuriatingly surprised look on his face.

"Jojo!" Blake sputtered. "You're here!"

"What did you do?" You growled, eyes flaring with pure fiery hatred.

"C-calm down!" Blake gasped, taking a step away as you summoned Golden Soul. You examined the blood on his hands and clothes, pure rage flowing through your veins as you stepped closer.

"What did you do!?" You screamed, throwing a punch with your stand.

"Jo-" Blake couldn't finish his plead before being sent backwards into the wall of your bedroom.

You sank to your knees as you watched the boy silently shatter into nothing. The sound of your own heartbeat and far away sirens echoing in your ears.

It wasn't even the real one... just another copy.