Chapter 23 - ...Who Breaks Your Heart

Beginne am Anfang

As Scourge brushed passed you, returning back to base, you stood frozen. The world felt like it sat on your shoulders. Your breath quickened. Gulping, you stumbled your way back to the training ground. Your mind was distant, running at a million miles per second.

I need to warn him.

But I cant, he will know who I am.

Then he will hate me!

But, I don't want to hurt him.

And if I don't do this mission Scourge will know something is up, Tails will figure it out and...

I'm screwed.

Before you knew it, you stood at the edge of the forest, where you were able to see Metal rushing around the training ground, slashing his claws through all sorts of materials. His eyes were a dead red, engine roaring and melting the snow. Your ears fell. Wrapping your arms around yourself, you stared at the mechanical hedgehog. Every slash of his claws dug a hole in your spine, sending shivers through you. Your mind slowly began to imagine the wooden mannequin's as Tails. The longer you stared the more you saw him getting killed over and over by metal, an orange flame lighting the scene.

Red eyes bore into yours.

He saw you.

Metal.

His eyes revealed his hidden smirk. He saw your fear.

Shaking your head, you let out a painfully held breathe. Lifting your ears, you gazed towards the horizon that lead to the inventing fox's house.

You knew what you were going to do the second Scourge told you the plan.

It was an easy choice.

You would rather have Tails hate you than see him get hurt.

Flicking your tail, you turn away from the training arena and rush into the forest, making your way to the fox's laboratory. You felt tears prick your eyes at the thought of losing him, but you had to let him go to keep him safe. Shoving branches out of your way, you flew through the snowy forest. Leaping over dead logs, jumping across frozen rivers, weaving through the trees, your destination grew closer and closer.

The end approaching.

Lung stinging with a need for air, you leaned up against the trunk of a tree as you stared at Tails's lab. The giant garage door that lead to his lab was wide open, revealing his messy yet neat work place. Multiple inventions were scattered across his desk, blueprints pinned on the wooden walls. Despite the clutter on the desk, the floors were left spotless.

Two tails stuck out from the seat of the Tornado 3, swishing about. His mutter of incoherent words made you smile as you recomposed your breathing. Your grin turned sorrowful, your eyes barely holding your tears. With a silent sigh, you strolled into his lab, blinking your eyes dry.

"Hey Tails," you called, your voice struggling to stay steady. His twin tails jolted up at the sound of your voice. Tails went to sit up but hit his head against the back of something.

Rubbing it with his hand, he grumbled, "I keep doing that. I'm gonna give myself brain damage at this rate." Pulling himself from his little world, he waved at you with a smile, "(Y/N)! Its good that you came, I was about to text you to come over." Your ears perked in curiosity but you shook it away. You weren't here for this, you were here to tell him.

Diving back down into the seating area of the plane, he struggled a little before emerging victorious. He successfully pulled out a neatly folded blanket. Hoping out of the plane he jogged over to where a small basket sat. His tails wagged in excitement.

"I have something to tell you-" your voice cracked. You struggled to speak, knees shaking with worry.

"So, I have a plan to go somewhere where I have never taken anyone. It's kinda my favourite spot, so don't go telling anyone," he smiled, seeming to have not heard you. An odd sense of relief washed over you. Watching him scramble about, evidently excited for his plans, you couldn't help but smile.

"This will take until the late afternoon. We need it to be dark out, which at winter hours it should be in a few hours, which is perfect!" he rambled, checking his watch a thousand times as he collected a group of items; a basket and a blanket. He faced you with a huge grin, tails thrashing energetically. "What did you wanna tell me?"

Staring into his sky blue eyes brought you plans to a halt. He was so excited to do whatever he had planned. And who where you to ruin that.

You also didn't want to let him go just yet.

So you decided to hold onto this for a little longer.

"It can wait until later," you shrugged.

"Are you sure?" he asked. The second you nodded he grabbed your hand and began pulling you with him, "The let's go." He lead you out of his lab, closing the door behind it, and happily took you through the town, leading you to his desired destination.

Your heart raced with joy, love, and guilt.

In you entire life, you never imagine you would find love. And if you never met the two tailed fox, you wouldn't have never felt such pain...

For what was bound to happen.

This ending... was inevitable.