32. Rain of Blood

(Stefan's POV)

The town echoed with the sounds of marching soldiers, making their way towards the front line. All the townspeople had been notified about the arrival of the war and are now taking shelter underground; alongside their queen. I couldn't put Jasmine in harm's way, nor could I do that to my children, they are all too precious for me to lose; I won't forgive myself if anything happened to them.

"Hey, Stefan!" I turned to Wolf coming towards me with an unsettling smile. "Can't believe that we are doing this. Fifteen years ago, you didn't want war, now look where we are. Standing on the front lines, waiting for the signal," he laughed sadly, unable to believe in the impossibility.

I don't know what to say to him. Should I just say that everything is going to be alright? Should I tell him that it will be over before it even started? Right now, I really want to say something to ease his pain and not to look into it too much; but then what about me? I looked back over the times me and Wolf always fought.

"Do you remember the time when dad got upset with you when he found you drawing at the back of his papers?"

"Yeah, I tried blaming it on you but I forgot that I wrote my name on it."

"And not only that, but you also blamed me for breaking that sword during practice."

"Well it WOULD have worked if Master didn't rat me out!"

I started laughing at the memory. Oh how they were fun times. It almost felt like it was yesterday that it happened, how time flies.

"Stefan, I need to talk to you." I looked to the other side to see Death standing right in front of me. "You know more than anyone that I won't be helping you in this battle -"

"I know." I replied, feeling a bit annoyed. But it is not his fault. "I just want to say that if Jasmine or your daughters get into any danger, rather they are planning on using this war as an advantage or something, I will get them out of there." Death said. It is sad that he can't fight along with us, but then again, it is not his fault. Death has a rule and he has been keeping with that since the beginning of time, 'don't interfere with things that are not your problem' that is his motto.

"I am going to send the signal out soon; be ready." Death walked away like nothing is happening, then again, that is what he has been doing since the beginning. Can't save a humans life, why save ours now?

"Stefan... After this, do you think that everything will go back to normal? I mean, we don't have to plan any wars or anything, all you could do is just look after your kingdom." I smiled at the thought, no war, no more worrying, just me, my wife and my children.

"Are you sure that you are not using this to your advantage of getting out of this? I mean, I planned the war and you looked after the kingdom with food, water and supplies. Had enough of the shop keepers telling you things you already know?"

"I would not do such thing... But it would be nice to not get yelled at." Wolf said as calmly as possible. I laughed. There are some things in life that will never change, for instance, Wolf. He always looked on the bright side of things, he knows what to say and he can be serious when he wants to be. But that is the reason why I love my brother, with everything going down, he makes everything seem alright.

Thunder stroked and the clouds rolled in. "It's almost time..." I said silently to myself.

"See you on the field," my brother replied before leaving me in my lonesome. Rain started to come in, the sound of metal being hit by little pins of raindrops was more noticeable than the roaring of the storm itself. Lightning hit once more, but the feeling of the cold rain woke me to this reality. The reality that the war between the gods has once again started. After a moment of silence, Courtney's dragon roared at the rain with ambition. The echoing of the dragon rang into the distance and light shined through the darkness. A golden light glimmered down on us as white feathers slowly graced itself in the air. I lifted my sword and so did everyone else. I waited for a few moments until the time was right.