Chapter 17: The Truth of the Disease

Start from the beginning

(Y/N): (Damn, so it's true...Batutta and his maid set us up!)

You thought to yourself until the three of you heard fast footsteps behind you as the three of you turned around and see Diablo and Horn entering the room.

Shera: Diablo!

Diablo: Everyone?

Leafa: And....Horn?

Horn: So you three were the first to notice it?

(Y/N): You can say that again...

Leafa: Diablo, look.

Leafa showed him Rem's summoning crystal in her right hand.

Horn: See? It's just like I told you! Batutta's taken your friends away!

Shera: What do we do? We really shouldn't have trusted him!

Diablo: I didn't think he'd make a move this soon. We still needed to recover ourselves first, too.

(Y/N): The Death Knell Disease. It's not a mere disease, it's a curse!

Shera & Horn: What?!

Leafa: (In actuality, Senpai, (Y/N), and I knew about the disease itself because it was a limited-time event in Cross Reverie.)

Diablo: At any rate, for now, we need to get Rem and Lumachina back. Let's go!

(Y/N)/Shera/Leafa/Horn: Yeah!

And just like that, all of you went off to find Rem and Lumachina's whereabouts.

-With Rem-

Somewhere underground, we see Rem slowly waking up from her sleep until she finds herself being tied up in an X-shape cross along with Lumachina.

Rem: What is this?!

Lumachina: You've come to?

Rem: Lumachina!

Lumachina: I was already here when I came to, as well.

Rem looks up to see that she finds spiral staircases that reach to the top which is about three floors above.

Rem: It looks like we're underground somewhere. And pretty deep, too.

Rem says to herself until she had a small flashback of what had just happened to her and Lumachina.

-A couple of minutes ago-

Back at Batutta's castle before the kidnapping, Rem and Lumachina were having a chat with Batutta.

Batutta: The Paladin Brigade is a group of adventurers that I organized to protect the priests in this dangerous city. It's true that due to my failings, their violent behavior has stood out.

Lumachina: So you promise to correct their behavior, then?

Batutta: Of course.

Lumachina: By the way, this city is plagued with what's known as the Death Knell Disease, isn't it?

Batutta: Yes, it's a terrifying illness.

Lumachina: Illness? You believe that, as well?

Batutta: Pardon me?

Lumachina: Well, it's not an illness, but a curse, right?

Both Rem and Shiliu were alarmed by Lumachina's question.

Batutta: Why do you think of that?

Lumachina: I knew it. When I prayed on behalf of that child, I heard the voice of God. It told me that someone is casting a large-scale curse to threaten the lives of the people in this city.