02: A Mysterious Identity

In the vast clear blue sky, a small figure was spotted flying with a pair of dark wings made of magic. It was a cloaked little boy with both hands in his pockets, exhibiting a relaxed figure. His lazy black eyes, which looked like they could devour anything, focused on the gigantic mountain below.

He could see a large hole leading to a cave without going through the mountain. The entrance was in plain sight; anyone passing by would be able to see it. But only a few would dare enter because it was a restricted dragon's lair. It was like the position of the hole was created intentionally to show the world where it was.

"What an arrogant dragon." The boy smiled at the thought of killing it with his own hands and witnessing the look of despair on the dragon.

Flapping his magic wings, he sped up and landed in seconds in front of the entrance. He withdrew his wings and entered the cave. It was pitch-black inside but wasn't a feat for the boy. He walked forward without hesitating like he could see everything despite the darkness.

He whistled in boredom until he was deep enough for the dragon to roar in his direction as a sign of warning.

However, the boy continued with a deaf ear to the roaring dragon.

"You intruder! Leave this place immediately, or this shall be the end of you!" The voice echoed loudly throughout the cave.

"You fool! So young yet so foolish. Beyond this shall be your death."

Unfortunately, no matter how much the dragon warned, the boy remained unperturbed.

The darkness gradually died out, and it was the light's turn to shine. Before the boy was heaps of gold coins, gems and all sorts of shiny objects piling up everywhere, and the ground could barely be seen. This proved that hoarding treasures was one of the dragon's main traits.

A lake was in the middle of the domain; above it was a hole where sunlight shone through. Next to the lake was a red dragon lying on a bed of gold coins. Its golden eyes were fierce, it was undoubtedly furious at the intruder who refused to leave, and it was a mere human boy at that.

It was a strange situation; the boy stood in front of it so fearlessly.

"Tell me. What is your purpose for coming here, human child?"

"Hm..." His mouth slowly turned from a straight line to a disturbing smile. "To kill you, of course."

This exclamation was absurdly audacious to the point that the dragon couldn't laugh at it. No humans had come here to kill it for years, but now a little human child was standing in front of it.

The dragon opened its large jaw to blow out a breath of fire at the boy, a fire a hundred times bigger than the boy.

"Daring to come here to kill a dragon when you are but a human child. I can never understand the minds of humans... The ignorance!" The dragon roared but halted midway through when it noticed the boy was still standing unscathed.

"What?! How is that possible? For being such a young mage, how can you be so powerful?"

Mages were people who wielded magic and weren't uncommon, but for a young boy to survive its fire was rare—no, it shouldn't be possible unless...

"Who knows?" The boy shrugged his shoulders.

The dragon narrowed its sharp eyes, ready to spit out a more robust fire. It didn't matter what the boy's identity was; he was going to perish anyway.

It was only then that the dragon felt something was amiss.

A light chuckle escaped the boy's mouth. He watched as the dragon attempted to move but was incapable. The creature grasped the connection with the human, and the thought of the possibility only angered it further.