Chapter 18 - Rejection

Corey's POV

"I propose," Fallon takes a deep breath, a knowing smile coming to her tanned face. "That we make a public announcement. That we can finally end the Love Games." As the words come out of her mouth, the stronger they get. The more confident she grows with each passing second.

I'm already agitated from Delia. Telling her about the games is a fantastic way to get her to hate me. I've become pretty good at acting for a while. I've conformed to Drew's awful rules after Silena passed. I've been molded to the Aphrodite stereotype that Drew works so hard to preserve. "No." It's the only word I can manage to get out without blowing my cool. 

Faye looks taken back. "What do you mean no? You want this to end!" 

I let out a sigh. Sometime's Faye can be too determined for her own good. "Of course I want this to end!" I say through gritted teeth. "How are people going to react once they find out the truth?" I ask. 

"We'll be hated," she says boredly. "It won't be a big deal."

I can't believe she thinks that there will be no repercussions for doing such a thing. If she truly believes that the other camp mates will defend us in a war after she tells them that we've been sleeping with them as a competition... she's delusional. "What about Leo?" I take a shot at her.

Her face flushes and her eyes flicker around the cabin nervously. "I don't know," she tells me quietly. 

"Look," I bite my lip. I know I should sit next to her and comfort her, especially considering my sister. But I also know that I can't. Years and years of being cold to everyone has taken its toll on me. I sometimes flinch when someone reaches out to me. I remain in my spot, my feet glued to the ground. "Of course I want to tell everyone. And by all means, they deserve to know. But mother earth is rising. It's already stressful, there is no need to add this to the mix as well."

Faye groans. "You're too smart to be in Aphrodite," she comments, burying her face into her pillow.

"I've liked Delia for a while," I admit to her, twiddling with my thumbs nervously. "I smartened myself up for her. I did so much, yet this threatens it all."

"Go talk to her," Faye insists, her voice muffled by the pillow. "Just do it."

"Fine," I say, unwilling to argue with her any longer. 

Faye has not been her long enough to know the dangers of being a child of Aphrodite. She knows what we're known for, but not for what we're supposed to be. According to Drew, we're supposed to be living embodiments of Aphrodite. Our mother has had plenty of affairs, she loves playing with the hearts of anyone willing to play. I know Faye is different, she makes it clear that she opposes the Aphrodite values. Drew is out to get her for that, one way or another. 

I storm out of the cabin without another word to her. She just can't understand. She still has hope and determination.

--

Delia's POV

I wait outside of the Athena cabin, squinting into the darkness. Faye said he would explain, and Gods do I need an explanation. 

Corey told me he'd be back after he took care of a couple chores, but it had already been twenty minutes. I don't think he'll ever come. 

The faint glow from the bustling Athena cabin light the atmosphere around me, only a couple of feet circling the cabin. 

Finally, I see a figure arise from the depths of the dark. I don't see his face until he's just a few inches away from me. "Corey," I say his name formally, without emotion. 

He looks frustrated and annoyed. "Delia," he says my name like it pained him to form the word on his lips. 

This surprises me, considering he's been courting me for the past few weeks. I'm finally starting to warm up to him, but this sudden coldness hurts. "Can you please explain?" I ask curtly.

"How much did you hear?" He carefully avoids answering my question. 

"Sinned prizes? So close to winning the games? What does it mean?" I try again, but I know he's just going to sidestep once again. 

His eyes finally meet mine. Corey's a son of Aphrodite, and it definitely shows. His hair is nearly black, messily sitting on his head. His eyes are the darkest brown I've ever seen. He's attention grabbing, he's attractive, he's Corey. I don't know why he'd ever choose someone like me to even flirt with. I'm just a brain, I have no social life. I didn't want a social life. Corey made me want to have one. He showed me that there are memories to create, not just more pages in an endless book to read for a lifetime.

"Please," I place on hand on his chest, feeling his heart beat through his rib cage. His heart only races faster. This gesture breaks down a wall I've built between us.

"You have to promise me," Corey starts, his eyes never leaving mine. "That you won't change your opinion about me. You have to remember that it's you that I've fallen in love with. It's you..."

I nod, but I'm surprised. How could anyone have fallen for me? "Okay. I promise."

And so he tells me about the awful Aphrodite tradition he had been chosen for. He tells me about how I'm supposed to sleep with him in order to win, that I'm supposed to fall in love and have my heart broken. 

Something inside me breaks, maybe it is my heart. My stomach twisted, I found myself unable to think clearly. My cheeks turn bright red, thinking about losing my virginity to Corey. I know from Faye's conversation that she's against it. I can't say the same about Corey. He's always been another Aphrodite boy, just an average pretty boy. 

I take my hand from his chest as soon as he finishes explaining. I hold it behind my back, clenching my hands together. I don't know how to respond. All he's done, it has been for nothing. He never liked me, he just wants to win. He did not fall for me, I knew it was too good to be true. "Corey," I say bitterly. I can already tell that he's hurt, but it has to be fake. "Please don't talk to me again."

I leave him standing there and go into my cabin. His gaze meets mine again, and I expect to see anger. However, I only see his sorrows. 

--

A/N: I thought it would be fun to write about the other Aphrodite traits. Not everyone can be as determined and courageous as Faye, unfortunately. 

Reactions? 

Next chapter will be dedicated to Piper and Jason, especially with her reaction. There's more to this than a simple love story, it's a tad more complex. The chapter after that will be Faye and Leo and perhaps the chariot race. 

So... 10 + votes for the next chapter? I don't know when I'm going to write it, but bombard the comments if you must if I don't write it within a week, PLEASE, BUG ME ABOUT IT. 

Thanks for all the support, it never goes unappreciated!

-Emilia Eduardo El Magnifico