Chapter 11: The Boy's Warning

(Content/trigger warnings for this chapter: anxiety)

**Isabelle**

Sometimes in Windshallow, people knew things they shouldn't: exactly where an ancestor had buried a time capsule, or who would be sick in class the next day, or their mother's deepest secret. Sometimes I wondered if they had visions like me.

"Isabelle, your sister is in danger."

I jerked awake. My eyelids were weighed with house-sized bricks, and my head pounded, especially with all the questions my classmates launched at Jack beside me ("Why are you here?" asked Devin; "Did you make it cold outside?" asked Joy; "Why can't the teachers see you?" asked Hannah, narrowing her green eyes). But my fear of Pitch consumed my thoughts. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught the silvery curve on my palm, and my heart pounded harder. Had my transformation begun because of trying to control my visions? Had people loved me more for using my powers? I would have thought that Ranya, the only one who knew about my trying last night, would be used to things like that by now.

Jack's eyes darkened, though not at the light-haired boy in front of my desk, as Jack turned toward him. "What do you mean?" the Guardian asked.

It took me a moment to begin processing what the young boy had said. "What?" I questioned. My heart pounded harder the more I understood his words. "What's going to happen?"

The boy, who I realized was the one I had saved from falling yesterday, just stared at me with wild eyes, not acknowledging either of us.

"How do you know this?" Jack repeated.

"People just know things in Windshallow," I said. "What's going to happen?" I repeated. The pale boy didn't react.

Jack waved a hand in the child's face.

Something was wrong. The people who knew things in Windshallow didn't act so odd. What if whatever had affected the boy had made him dangerous?

I leaped from my desk, intent on racing out the door, when the boy dropped to the ground like dead weight. Jack grabbed my arm and pulled me to a stop. The pale boy sucked in a breath as he blinked his eyes open. They were normal again.

He trembled on the floor. "Please protect me."

My heart ached through my fear. "What happened?"

Jack helped him to his feet.

The boy whimpered and didn't respond with words for a few moments. "A woman... She... I couldn't control myself. She... pushed me out."

"What?"

The boy shook his head, and tears began falling down his face.

My eyes darted all over, searching for a dangerous woman. "That must have been scary."

"She has a plan..." the boy whispered. "She lured your sister into her school during a... Fear Angel attack."

Jack's eyes darkened even further at whatever he was angry with. "What for?"

The boy just shook his head and whimpered.

Jack bent down to his level. "Can you please tell me?"

The boy continued to cry.

"Please?" Jack said.

"She... She told me not to tell," the boy warbled. "Or someone would take my memories..."

Jack stood back up. "I have to go. This is bad. Isabelle, I need you to stay here. Ranya's school isn't far. I promise I wouldn't be leaving if it wasn't absolutely necessary."

My heartbeats began to shake me. "Wait!" I grabbed Jack's arm. People stared. "Take me with!"

"It's too dangerous. And you're not a spirit yet. Pitch won't kill you."

"But what if Fear Angels or a Terror Storm comes? Take me with, please!" I held tight onto his arm.

"What are—" a buff girl named Alexandria tried to interrupt.

"It'll be faster if I go by myself, and if Ranya really is in danger right now, bringing you with would be more dangerous." Jack pulled his arm from my grasp. "I promise I won't be long."

I lunged for him again, but he took off flying through the half-broken classroom window.

(A/N: Could you please vote, comment, and follow if you're liking this?)