Page 11

Alex rolls his eyes.

"Just couldn't take the guilt could you?"

"No. Did you tell Mike?"

"Hell no. He still hasn't won me back over yet."

"Did you tell him something to do to win you back over?"

"Told him to figure out my favorite desert. So far he's got no clue."

"He's only been working on it a day."

"Nope since he realized who I was he's been trying to figure it out apparently he wanted to know the way to my heart. But so far he's not figured it out."

"Remind me to tell him the next time I'm in the cafeteria." I chuckled.

"You think you know it?"

"I've known you for twenty years there is one sweet thing that you absolutely crave after every op and you eat them whenever you are stressed as well." Tyler elbowed Alex.

"Tell me, I want to know."

"Plain old Yeast donuts. Used to sit and eat a dozen of them the first chance he got after an Op. I think he's the only reason they make them still in the cafeteria."

"Is he right?" Tyler asks me.

"Yes."

"But why those?"

"Tell you what, if Mike guesses right I'll tell you why they are my favorite. No telling Mike if he doesn't guess by the weekend I'm gonna let him off the hook. Promise?" They both nodded. I stayed a little while longer and headed for my room. I found a mint chocolate cheesecake in front of me door. When I got to the cafeteria the next morning I smiled as I passed him.

"Mint chocolate. Really good, but not my favorite." I said and kept walking. For the next week I got every desert I think people had ever thought of. But something other than his really good baking was on my mind. I had one question the answer to I needed and it had me heading to the nurses office. I took the little pink box and went to my rooms. I peed on the stick and waited. Would I be pregnant? It might be to early but when I'd finally broke down and called one of my sisters to ask when I could take it she laughed for a good solid five minutes then said a few days was plenty so more than a week should be more than enough time. Friday, I'd known Mike, really known him for nine days and the next two minutes could really change the future I was thinking about with him. My kitchen timer went off.

"God help me." I say and pick up the test, then I'm glad I'm sitting down. It said pregnant. Clear as life. "Well Mike I hope you really meant it about wanting us to have kids." I threw it away washed my hands and headed for the cafeteria. I got there in time for dinner. Looked like I'd be waiting till after ward. Though this did explain why all those deserts weren't lasting long. Bears were notorious for eating like they were starving when they were pregnant. I was sure my narc of a sister had told on me and it was just a matter of time for my mother to call me and demand to know if she was gonna be a grandma again. I was leaning against my normal pole when I see Mike with a hang dog expression heading for me. He lifts a white napkin and waves it.

"I give. I have officially run out of deserts. I don't know what it is that I haven't thought of. I'm really hoping that you'll either give me a hint or let me sky write I'm sorry or something." I chuckle. Taking his hand I lead him toward the bakery section. I open the glass donut case and pull out a yeast donut.

"Yeast donuts? Those are your favorite?"

"Yep. It started totally by accident. My mother conned me into posing for what I thought at the time was a silly picture with this little dorky kid I just happened to save. We pose for the picture and this kid, barely three foot tall asks me if I want his donut for saving him. He had big blue eyes, coal black hair and the best smile I'd ever seen. He was trying to be nice so I accepted. Totally made his day and for some reason that made me happy. Ever since I have loved the things. You know I just can't figure, given I remember it real easy especially that smile that hasn't changed, why I never recognized you."