Page 6

"I'm gonna be honest I don't think I know a tenth of what you know about me."

"That's okay. Plenty of time to learn. How's Payton?" He asked looking across at her bassinet near my dresser.

"Asleep. A little early for her." I smiled. "I never really thought I'd love anything the way I love that little girl. I'd do anything in the world for her." I turned back to Mike. "Alright you know way to much about me tell me about you." He laughed but told me about his brothers and the band they had, the one we were going to hear Friday night. He told me how he always felt like the black sheep because he wanted to go into cooking and had no interest to be in the band with them. I learned about the accident that killed his parents about ten years ago. We discussed his unusual hobby of knitting. Apparently his favorite grandmother taught him over the long summers with her. He had just started talking about his college years when Payton began to cry. I got up and went over.

"What's the matter baby girl huh?" I lifted her and wrinkled my nose. "What did papa give you for lunch? All I gave you was some banana and formula." I laid her out on the diaper pad on my bed and slipped the dirty diaper off, cleaned her up and put on a fresh diaper with powder on her tush. I got her onesy snapped up and the little leggings back in place. I held her up in my arms.

"There, doesn't that feel better? You are growing like a weed I hope you know. I'm gonna have to buy bigger sizes next time I'm at the store. And this hair. It's gonna be long enough for pig tails soon. You know I'm totally doing the pebbles hair on you. That's gonna look so cute. If papa has a boy we're totally doing pebbles and bam bam for Halloween this year. I think the little toothless dragon out fit last year was spot on for you. So you gonna go back to sleep or you wanna hear about what a dork Mike was in college." I sat down with her balanced on my lap. She was looking at Mike.

"Hi. Trying to figure out who I am? I'm Mike. If I get my way I'll be Uncle Mike someday but we'll keep that between you and me." He really was all for being with me permanently. "Contrary to his belief I was not a dork in college. I was a nerd. There's a difference."

"Oh really."

"Yep. Nerd carry pocket protectors, geeks carry Marvel notebooks and binders. Dorks are the guys that play World of Warcraft and forget to tie their shoelaces. I was a nerd pocket protector and all. Then I found food and went from being a nerd to learning that the right desert can win over anyone." He gave me raised eyebrow. "Anyone but you. I've tried featuring every desert I can think of to get your interest. You've tried most of them and still you don't seem impressed. I'm starting to think I'm losing my touch." I chuckled.

"No."

"Wanna tell me what you like best? I'll make it for you."

"Nope. You know to much as it is. You can guess some more." Payton tried rubbing her eyes. I curled her in my arms and rocked her. A little hum of some lullabies I'd learned and she was back out. "Baring her getting hungry she'll be out all night." I settled her back into her bassinet. When I turned Mike was there. He pulled me in kissing me softly.

"I want you. Can I make love to you?"

"Yes." I said smiling. I'm taken to the bed and stripped then laid out. He starts at my ankles and slips up my body kissing my body. He sheds his button up shirt and kicks off his shoes. I'm left for a moment while he gets rid of the rest of his clothes. I wait till he's undressed then roll him under me. I use my mouth to taste his skin. I smile at him.

"You changed clothes but didn't shower. You taste like baking flour." He laughs.

"I was in a hurry to get here."