C H A P T E R N I N E

Beginne am Anfang

A few minutes more went by before Tech stirred and opened his light-brown eyes, and my breath shuddered with relief. "Oh, Tech, thank the Force..."

Tech gazed around. "Oh, we've made it back on the Marauder."

"Yes...?" I replied, confused. "What's the last thing you remember?"

"I'm, not sure."

"Well, that's not a good thing..." I let out a soft nervous laugh. "You're in really bad shape, Tech, and I'm afraid there isn't much we can do...I'm really sorry." My head hung in defeat. It frustrated me to no end that we couldn't afford proper medicene for him. Echo was right, too, about Cid...

"Fern, I understand my condition distresses you, but—"

"Why didn't you stay where you were when I told you to?" I muttered in low voice, my fingers clawed into the cloth. "You've worsen your 'condition' by pushing yourself without my or Echo's assistance. You could lose your leg, Tech!"

"Well, what was I suppose to do when you screamed?"

The words got caught in my throat. "W-what, well," I cleared my throat. "I had everything under control, I'll have you know. And regardless, it still doesn't give you a valid excuse to exert yourself when you were already—"

"Fern," Tech interrupted me with a calm voice. "I do not regret my actions. I am not fond of losing a vital limb, but with some easy rest and time, I am sure I will recover—"

"Tech, stop! You don't understand. We don't have the credits to save—DANK FERRIK!!!" I was growing frustrated with Tech's arrogance until the realization smacked me in the face. My eyes about popped out of my skull as I heaved in air sharply and slapped one hand on my rib cage and the other on my pants pocket. Tech reacted to my impulsive outburst with a slight yelp. "W-what is it, Fern?..." he breathed, as if he was almost too afraid to ask.

I responded with rapidly zipping my bomber jacket open and scooping out the shiniest gold and silver credits anyone has ever laid eyes on. From my pocket, I yanked out the pure diamond jewel and added it to the pile cupped in my palm. Overwhelming happy tears filled my eyes. "I snatched this when we first got inside the container! Wired-Brain, you are going to be just fine!" I cried with joy. Echo, Wrecker, Hunter, and Omega all heard my shouting and gathered around me and Tech, who had relief wash over his face as he sank deeper into the cot.

"Well, Fern," Echo patted my shoulder as he scoffed. "I have to hand it to you. You did good."

"Never took you for a jewel thief, Fern!" Wrecker laughed.

"Wow, Fern! How did you manage to grab so much shiny stuff without us noticing?!" Omega's eyes beamed at the treasure in my open palm.

"Don't know whether to be impressed or worried." Hunter chuckled, smoothing out my hair on the top of my head while standing over me. I smiled up at him then turned my attention to Tech, grabbing and squeezing his shoulder with my free hand. "Don't worry. I know exactly what we need. I will go retrieve it once we set down in Ord Mantell."

"I," Tech coughed. "am indebted to you for your resourceful looting."

"Not indebted." I smirked. "It's like you said, we're a squad, and we are obligated to look after one another."

————————————————————————

I jumped off the ship the moment she touched down in the hangar. But before I could take another step, Hunter called my name and insisted, "I'll come with you."

"We must hurry." I urged, as I teasingly rolled my eyes and grasped his hand, pulling him along in a hastened pace.

We pushed our way through the crowded streets of Ord Mantell until we reached the local pharmacy. Not wasting a millisecond, I slammed down the diamond I had possession of on the front counter and demanded, "I need several cases of bacta spray, now. And whatever you have regarding internal mending medicinals."

"Um, if you don't mind." Hunter finished my request, nodding an apology to the frightened female Pantorian behind the counter. "We are in a hurry." Once she smiled kindly and excused herself to the back, Hunter held my shoulders and turned me to meet his eyes. I knew my face was Sith-lightsaber-red, and the shade only darkened as I grew more flustered. "It's not your fault, you know? I don't have all the details on what happened, but knowing you and Tech, I'm sure it was just bad luck. You need to stop beating yourself up about this. The important thing is, we are all alive." He spoke so soothly in his deep voice, the heat I was feeling in my cheeks melted into my heart. I even smiled...

"You are right. We are here. We made it." I inhaled and exhaled deeply. "The bacta spray will heal Tech's leg almost instantly. I'm buying extra because it will definitely be very useful in case something like this happens again...The stuff is not cheap either."

"Then, I guess becoming a temporary jewel thief was the best decision you could have possibly made on that mission." Hunter smirked and planted his lips into my forehead, then moving his right hand to the nape of my neck and guiding my lips to his.

"Let's promise each other to never embark on a mission like that again." I breathed in between our kiss.

"Promise."