C H A P T E R S I X

FERN'S POV

"A fracture?" I raised a brow. "You can't really expect me to believe that."

"A small evasion, from the truth," Tech strained under the immense pain he must have been enduring. "is enough to ease everyone else's conscious and focus on the task at hand."

"Regardless, you will—" As I seated myself on my legs, I reached out and lightly touched his injured leg to assess it, only to trigger more pain. Tech sucked air through his teeth, his modulator altered it into a hissing sound. I apologized and reached up and removed his helmet. "I don't mean to state the obvious, but an injury like this is going to slow us down. I will help you anyway I can. After all, this could've been me if you hadn't pushed me out of the way." My frown deepened, and Tech took noticed.

"I only did what was necessary." Tech huffed, supporting his upper body with his forearms. "If I hadn't, you and I would have both been crushed. You, would have mostly died since you refuse, to wear armor."

I lightly scoffed through my nose. "First off, you and I have gone over this before: armor is very restricting on my enhanced abilities. Secondly, what do you mean 'armor'— you considered these bright blue demin pants 'armor'?" I laughed, knowing I'm the one who picked them out for him to wear. I know it was unintentional, but Tech's normal mannerisms seemed to break my guilt and when I noticed Tech's face flaring up, whether from embarrassment or what have you, I started to relax and mindfully process our new situation calmly. "And thirdly, I suppose you are right: me getting flattened on top of you wouldn't have been a very pretty sight."

"I wouldn't say so."

"Well," I ceased my laughter and smiled. "Thank you, then. I'm afraid Hunter was carrying the first aid kit, but maybe Echo has some stabilizers packed away to help with the pain, at least. Once we get back to the Marauder, I'll be able to perform a proper assessment. For now, you need to be extremely careful. We don't want to break the entire bone."

"Your excessive expression of concern is unnecessary." Tech sighed.

"Oh, fine then." I rolled my eyes. "Don't come crying to me when your leg falls off. Jeez, where is Echo?"

As if on cue, the cyborg clone chimed in on the comms. "We got a problem. We still haven't landed! Don't make any sudden movements until Omega and I get back down there to help."

"Copy that." I sighed in reply, then returned Tech's helmet over his head. "I'm going to go find some rope. Deducing how far we fell from our previous pit stop, I'd say we're going to have to haul you up some sort of cliff. Obviously," I tried not to snicker as I gestured to his leg. "you're in no condition to climb by yourself."

"Yes, obviously." Tech nodded, followed by a grunt in pain. "Remember what Echo warned, though, as any 'sudden movements' could potentially send us cascading the rest of the precipice."

"Wired-Brain, I'm offended." I gasped dramatically as I rose to my feet and placed a hand on my chest with pride. "My speciality is stealth. This container doesn't even recognize my presense."

"How—"

"I'll be right back." I pointed and then walked off in search for as much rope and cords I could recover from the deathtrap of a mess. Sure, I could pass gravity undetected, but if one of these unstable crates was to topple over, we were practically doomed. Once I gathered several large bundles stored in a closet compartment in the wall, I made my way back to Tech, where Echo and Omega were waiting for me.

It was quite the tour de force not only mountaining up the toppled crates to get out of the giant storage unit, but also to scale the cliffside with a crippled Tech. I had to give him credit, though, for he didn't complain once through all the arduous and distressing grunts and strains in his modulator. On the task of hoisting Tech up via rope pulley, Echo and Omega heaved from above while I slowly mounted alongside the injured clone, so that I could manuever him to flatter sections of the cliff to ease the ascent. At last, when the three of us carefully dragged Tech to safety, part two of escaping the Empire was complete. However, we still needed to reconvene with Hunter and Wrecker on the Marauder to officially say we survived this whole failed ordeal...

Echo and I tag-teamed aiding Tech. I hung his right arm around my neck, clinging to his hand, and used my left one to support him the best I could. "We should walk deeper into the forest, at least there the trees would provide some aerial cover." I suggested, then craned my neck over my right shoulder. "Come on, Half-Pint, we have to keep moving."

"But...we can't just leave without the war chest." she said with hesitance.

"Forget it." Echo disproved. "We don't have time and Fern's right: finding cover is our first priority."

"It's not worth it anymore." I agreed. "Let's go."

As the four of us gradually moved deeper into the wooded area, working our path in the more shaded parts, my mind pondered over what happened to Hunter and Wrecker. Not knowing their last location before crashing made it difficult to presume their situation now...Neither of them were masters of stealth, so wondering how they were managing their escape from the spaceport was egging on in my brain. For all I know, they could be already halfway to the Marauder and we'll be recovered in no time...or they could still be at Dooku's palace...

"Havoc-2," The sergeant himself abruptly called into the comms. "The fourth sun is setting. Plan Double Zero."

"Copy that." Tech, aka "Havoc-2, responded.

"Plan Double Zero?" Omega questioned.

"It means 'go radio silent'."

"Which means our comm channels are being monitored..." I huffed, realizing they must still be at the palace. As I adjusted my grip on Tech, I swore he was getting heavier and more sluggish by the minute. His strained breathing wasn't easing my mind either. I noticed Omega's eyes trailing over behind us. "What is it, Half-Pint?"

"We're being followed." she whispered, nodded, and then before any of us could object, she armed herself with her bow and jumped into action. Maybe she took after me a little too much...

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" She had already began the interrogation process by the time Echo, Tech, and I hobbled our way to her and an older man with silver hair and moustache. He was wearing modest civilian clothing. His face had wear and tear. "I live here. My name is Romar." he replied, raising his hands up against Omega's readied weapon.

"He could be working for the Empire." Echo said, aiming his own blaster at the stranger.

"Me?" He looked offended, and decided to accuse us as well. "Are you working for the Empire?"

Tech groaned, leaning more into my arm.

"We don't have time to debate this. Omega, stand down. He doesn't mean us harm." I stepped in. "Clearly, as he said, he just 'lives here'." Omega did as she was told and, once again, I readjusted Tech in my hold. I cleared my throat. "You said your name is Romar? My name is Fern. By chance, do you live close by?"

"Why do you ask?" Romar questioned.

"Well, as you can see, our friend is injured." I explained. "We're not Imperial. We just need cover so he can rest. Well, actually, it has been a pretty eventful day for all of us— we all need some rest. Please, could you take us to your house?"

Romar listened to me with hesitance, but my kind manners must have reached him, for he sighed and waved his hand to us. "Come on, then. It'll be dark soon."