Chapter seven

It was already Friday.

However, as much as she wanted to go, she had to deny Ushijima's match invitation because she had an appointment.

It was Iwa-chan's birthday, and there was no way she could miss his surprise party.

(As if it was a surprise, because in reality... it wasn't.)

She had just gotten out of school and she had planned to organize and decorate his house for his party, while the members stayed practicing. 

Just like she had always done...

But deep inside her heart, there was something that bothered her. And ever since she told Ushijima she couldn't go; she felt a kind of guilt that she had never felt before. Not even when she lied to her older brother, or not even when she ditched class to go out on a date.

It was as if she felt guilty for herself...

Anyways, she promised Takeru and some of his nice friends some ice cream if they decorated the house while she 'went to buy some things she missed'.

She had just arrived to Shiratorizawa.

Ushijima on the other hand, when she first told him she couldn't go, got quite upset, more than anyone could think he could.

He understood her reasons, and he did his best to not let that have any effect on him, but it never stopped bothering him.

The match was just at the half of the first set.

She looked for him while she looked for a place to sit. It wasn't full as it was just a friendly match, nevertheless, there were more people than she thought there would be. She just knew her brother attracted a lot of feminine crowds to all his matches, so she didn't expect many people there.

She found a place far enough from all the Shiratorizawa students, a little hidden since she was still wearing her school uniform.

When she looked at Ushijima, inevitable butterflies appeared in his stomach. She thought he was very much focused on the game, so she didn't mind bothering him by announcing her presence. She quietly sat there, taking into her hand the little bracelet she made for him.

But Ushijima wasn't focused, at all.

He was absorbed in his thoughts; it was difficult for him to keep himself concentrated on the game as his mind kept drifting to thoughts of her. He found himself constantly looking up to the stands, hoping to catch a glimpse of her, even though he knew she had other plans for the day.

They've lost the first set. And as far as he knew they were already losing the second one.

He knew it was all his fault, all because he couldn't bring himself to think correctly.

As the game progressed, Ushijima couldn't help but feel frustrated. He had missed several opportunities to make a crucial point for his team. His mind kept wandering, thinking about her. He tried to push those thoughts aside and focus on the game, but it was becoming increasingly difficult.

Once the coach realized how much Ushijima's thoughts had consumed him, he called a time-out.

"WAKATOSHI! If you are not going to play, then DON'T. BUT THIS IS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO PRACTICE SO LET ANYONE WHO NEEDS IT TO....

The coach continued scolding him but soon was ignored as Tendo Asked. "Wakatoshi-kun are you feeling okay? I have never seen you so deep in thought."

Ushijima furrowed his brows in confusion, trying to find the most appropriate words to explain his...feelings? "I can't think." He murmured.