Chapter 9 Stormy Weather

Start from the beginning

     The next morning Jake,Kevin and Ronny, collected bamboo. The tools were unpacked, and they began to build a fenced area,inside of the cave for the chickens. All of the girls collected palm prawns, for the floor.Chance and Matty made a fire,cooking the collected eggs.
      They ate breakfast together, then began unpacking. Cat got water from the spring, putting it into the pot to soak.Cat carried the pot outside, the sky was dark, the wind blew her hair.
     Cat carried the pot back inside the cave," the storm has begun. I'm so glad we aren't at shed camp. This cave has saved us all. We would have starved,if we stayed there. Our garden,chickens and fishing gear would all have been destroyed.The garden shed and tool shed,might not be standing when the storm is over. "
     All of the campers heard Cat,all were thinking the same thing. How did Chance know? An answer they would never have.
                     Jake petted the two roosters,"little Chance and little Cat,I'm so glad you made it to the cave. "
     Cat giggled, "Jake you named your pets, after me and Chance. I am flattered you missed me so much."
     Jake smiled, " you won't be so happy, when they wake you up at sunrise, and crap all over your stuff. "
     Chance sat next to his friend,"you really must have been lonely, when we didn't come back Jake. If we knew what was going to happen, we would have waited for you. I am so sorry."
      Jake patted his friend's leg," what matters is you came back Chance. We live another day,because you did."
     Cat complained, " hey what about me?I'm worth as much,
as the chicken you named after me.I came back as well, I helped discover this cave."
     The rest of shed group, sat in a circle on the floor near by.
     Amy yawned,"Chance was missed,you Cat,not so much. "
                Julie shivered, "it got cold after the wind and rain started."
     Page gave her friend a blanket,"there is a lot of wood,but who knows how long, we will be stuck inside."
     Ronny held his arms open wide,"plenty of body heat here girls."
      Page held her hand up," speak to the hand Ronny."
     Amy cuddled against her boyfriend,"l hated it here,but I will use any excuse,to have your arm around me Kevin."
     Matty shivered beneath a blanket,"I'll cuddle with you Ronny. "
     Jake picked the boy up, holding him like a baby,"I got you Matty."
     The warmth was near instant, Jake was the boys hero.If anyone could pass the tests it was Jake.
     The cave floor was cold, but not as cold as it was outside that night. The fire was made just inside of the cave entrance. Wind blew the smoke, no one could sleep near the fire for warmth. The two tarps were laid upon the cave floor, the group laid upon the tarps. No one was shy, laying against each other.
              Twelve roosters crowed simultaneously, the group was awake at sunrise.Julie woke up, laying on Ronny's arm. It would have been a precious moment, but Ronny's mouth was open and he was drooling.Julie had a crush on Ronny, so did Page. Neither could act on their feelings, whoever Ronny chose, the other would be left alone.
     The cave was a mess,looking worse than their bedrooms back home.
     Cat began picking up supplies and personal items of the group,Amy was doing the same thing. It wasn't long before Page and Julie joined the task.
     Jake, Kevin and Ronny, fed and watered the hens and roosters,then they collected the eggs. Next they added wood to the fire, and began making breakfast.
     Chance watched the group amazed, no one told them what to do. They reacted to a new situation, it was something to see. Perhaps that was what the Captain was watching,reactions to new situations. A crackpot professor, putting his theory to the test.

            It was three days before the rain completely stopped,the group of teens went back to shed camp to assess the damage.
     Amy jumped up and down for joy,"the sheds are both still here!"
     Julie came running toward her friends,"the chicken coop is still there! "
     Cat pointed on top of the she shed,"is that a bra?"
     Page looked up, " that is my pink bra."
     Ronny smiled, "I'll retrieve your bra for a kiss."
     Page retorted, "how about, a hard slap in the face instead Ronny?"
     Ronny sighed,"get it yourself, you heartless shrew."
     Page was shocked, she had went to far," I'm sorry Ronny."
Ronny didn't hear her,he walked away.
            The orchard was hit hard,fruit blew everywhere. It was like an Easter egg hunt. A lot of smashed fruit, was fed to the chickens. Only ten hens and two roosters, were brought back, to the chicken coop. The rest were released at the cave, to fend for themselves. A lot of the supplies, were left at the cave shelter.when the next storm came, anything left there, would be safe.