Seeing him be so delighted by such an unnatural display of psychosis brought shivers to my spine. He was amused by them losing their humanity.

"He screamed until his vocal cords tore, and yet the other prisoners paid him no mind. Shortly after, the second began to scream. The others simply became rabid animals - tearing apart their belongings and necessities"

"After three more days, it grew silent. The researchers could no longer see into the room, as the prisoners blocked off the windows with their own fecal matter, and so they decided to speak to them using the intercom on the 14th day," his smirk grew wider. Darker. Far more sinister.

"They announced that they would be releasing one of them if they were compliant when the researchers entered the room. They only received one response. Can you guess what it was?"

"One could only assume it was distasteful," I muttered into my kneecaps.

Fyodor chuckled to himself. "They had said, 'we no longer wish to be freed', thus creating a mass debate amongst the researchers"

"They finally decided to open the chamber. The gas was turned off, and immediately, the prisoners went into a frenzy. They begged the researchers to turn the gas back on"

"Why would they do that? Were they not suffering?" I had decided to take part in the conversation now, more so than just answering his odd questions. I couldn't lie and say that the story wasn't intriguing. Humans were always intriguing when brought to their breaking points, even if they suffered a sorry fate.

Fyodor's grin turned into one that resembled delight rather than sin. "Why indeed," he mused.

"The researchers sent soldiers in to retrieve the subjects. The prisoners, in turn, began to scream, as did the soldiers," he started up again.

"The prisoners had mutilated themselves. Parts of their own organs had been stuffed into the drains. Large portions of their flesh had been torn from themselves, exposing their own skeletons to the elements,"

"Upon further examination, it had been noted that the prisoners had harmed themselves using their own hands, and most of which was entirely self inflicted. The only organs that remained intact were the vital ones; the heart, lungs, and brain. The rest had been strewn out upon the floor," he placed another piece of the puzzle down.

"Most of the soldiers were Russian operatives, but yet they themselves had refused to return to the chamber. Nonetheless, they were forced to remove the prisoners. One of which, had their throat ripped out by one of the subjects"

"Another had his testicles ripped off, and his artery was severed. The rest? Had simply taken their own lives," he sighed solemnly.

"I can't say I blame them," I tilted my head on my shoulders with wide eyes.

Fyodors gaze froze on me momentarily before he continued. "In the struggle, one of the subjects had fatally injured himself. When the medical staff attempted to sedate him for surgery, it proved impossible. He was given more than 10 times the dose that would usually be called for, and he still fought with everything he had to reject such a fate"

"Even beyond death, he proceeded to flail and attack whilst asking for more. The remaining survivors were restrained whilst begging for the gas. When they brought one for surgery as well, the sedative had killed him the second he fell unconscious"

"Another survivor, the one who had first torn his vocal cords, underwent an entire 6 hour surgery without anesthesia. When the surgery ended, the nurse had handed him a notepad. He simply wrote, 'keep cutting'"

My eyes went wider. I was mortified, yes. But mostly? I was baffled. How could one endure such pain, let alone ask for more?

"The other survivors went on to surgery as well, replacing their organs. Yet again, they begged for the gas once they were able. The surgeons had asked why they injured themselves, and demanded the gas. Only one response was given - 'I must remain awake'"