Chapter Fifteen

This was it. The day that most have been dreading, and some have been anticipating.

I slowly opened my eyes, taking notice of the weight I felt on my shoulder. When I looked to my right, Clove had her arm over me, her head resting on my shoulder. She was sleeping peacefully still, her being so close I could feel her exhaling.

I felt a small smile come onto my face, looking at her closely, her freckles that were hardly noticeable from a distance. I studied her beautiful face, before I slightly faltered, looking to the ceiling.

Did Clove do what she did last night, knowing that the Capital could see us? And she wanted sponsors? Was it still an act for her? Hell, was it still an act for me?

No, I don't think its an act for me.

My chest ached at the thought of her just acting, none of this being real. Was she messing with me? I know Clove has a habit of being sadistic, cruel, in general. It is new to see her be something other than that.

Were we rushing our relationship? And are we rushing it because its what we both feel? Or is she doing it because she wants to win?

My mind was racing, though, before I could continue to overthink, I heard Clove speak up.

"What's bothering you, El?" She asked, her voice raspy. I felt a slight hue come to my face at the pet name, it sounded much different, albeit better, coming from her.

I laid my head on her chest, hearing her slow heartbeat, her calm breathing. This helped me settle down a bit, before realizing I had to answer her question.

"Nothing." I muttered, my arm over her, pulling her a bit closer.

Clove chuckled lowly, "We can't get much closer, El." Again, with this nickname.

I shrugged, "I'm sure there's a way, we just have to find it." I answered simply, digging my face into the crook of her neck and shoulder. "And is that my new name?"

This felt so new, so exhilarating. I could feel my heart racing in my chest, though I felt a sort of warmth, familiarity, in Clove's arms.

Clove made a hum of thought, before shrugging, "Do you have a problem with it?" Her voice having a teasing tone.

I cleared my throat, "I didn't say all that." I clarified, her letting out a short chuckle.

"Then I suppose it is." She muttered lowly, resting her head on top of my own. We laid there for a few moments, before we heard a knock on the door.

"It's time to get up you two." I heard Trudie shout, before saying, "I expected better from you Ellie."

I suppose I usually am the first to be up and ready, especially on a day like this.

I sighed deeply, only, somehow, moving closer to Clove. I could only cherish this for such a short amount of time. I wouldn't even get a full day with her without worrying I am about to be slaughtered.

Clove too sighed, before, surprisingly, placing a brief kiss on my forehead, before urging me up.

"It's time."

Clove and I both got ready, me wearing a simple brownish-green shirt, something that'd be hard to spot in many terrains. I was also wearing a durable cargo pants sort of outfit. I didn't care much for how I looked in the outfit, it's the damn Hunger Games, not a fashion show. My hair was put into a high ponytail, something functional and easy to maintain.

I sighed, slight anxiety taking over my body, me smoothing down my already smooth shirt, trying to calm my mind.

"Are you okay?" Clove asked, from behind me. I turned, looking over my shoulder at her, a small smile coming onto my face when I saw her.