-part 8-

"Bye Indigo. Love you sweetie. If you want any lunch just microwave the veggie pasta bake. It's in the fridge." Mum gave me a kiss on the cheek as she closed the door.

I smiled as I ran up the stairs to glue everything from my project together. After that task was complete I put it on the side of my desk to dry and picked out a sketch book from my book shelf. I decided to take a reference photo of my garden and began to sketch. Half an hour later I had done the outline of the drawing and began to colour. The drawing looked totally different to reality. It was like an enchanted fairy garden, with vines weaving in and out of overgrown grass and colours blooming through as flowers started to open up their petals. Just like we did as babies when we opened our eyes for the first time.

Just as I was finishing my drawing I heard my phone vibrating on my bed side table. I picked it up and answered.

"Hello?"

"..."

"Hi?"

Once again silence.

"Is anyone there?" Just before I was about to hang up I saw on the contact info that it was Max. At this point I didn't want anything to do with him, how selfish of him to not care about my feelings and how much his stupid girlfriend upset me. The reason I stayed on call you may ask?

I herd mutters and cries for help with a robotic glitch to the voice.

"My... my Mum. Indigo. Indigo can you hear me? Indigo! I need you. Please.." there was more cries.

"Oh my god! What.. what's wrong?"

"My Mum. Please she is on the floor. She seems really out of it. She's struggling with her breathing. Please. Come! Now Indigo!"

I didn't have time for laces and trainers and instead slipped on my ballet pumps.

As soon as I got to the door I was banging my fist on the door until I realised it was unlocked and let myself in.

My first instinct was to tell Max if he had called an ambulance. So that's what I did and it turned out he had. Everything seemed a blur and at the same time I knew every single thing that was going on in that exact room, where I took a seat next to Max on the floor as Mrs Boils lay on the floor, slipping in and out of consciousness.

"How long will they be? Did they mention anything about doing CPR?"

"No not that I'm aware of. I didn't give them the full details I just said I needed help and I gave them my address."

"I recommend we call an emergency line for them to explain how to do CPR, Max."

As I was waiting for someone to pick up and connect to a service Max burst into tears crying over his mum, Milly's body.

"It's all my fault isn't it. It is. You can't disagree with me. I noticed my Mum not long ago coughing quite a lot. More than normal actually. I brushed it off my shoulders and went upstairs and started texting Kerry. That was until I heard my Mum in a struggle and rushed downstairs. Do you think it's to late?" Max gave a worried look.

What I wanted to say was that it's Kerry's fault because it was. If she didn't text him Milly would be in better care.

"Of course it isn't your fault," I walked into the kitchen which was opposite the living room and heard a woman's soothing voice say, "Hello?"

"Hi."

"May I ask. What's your name sweetie?"

"Indigo. Indigo Brown. My best friend's Mum was apparently coughing more than usual and  she had a struggle and just fell to the floor from the pain." I spoke very fast.

"Okay, this is believed to be a heart attack."

I started to breath heavily.

"Now don't panic lovely. Would you mind passing the phone to your friend?"

I hesitated, "Okay."

I forced a smile at Max and passed my phone to him.

Now all I could hear was muffled sounds.

I sat on the sofa clenching my fists as sweat gathered in my palms. It felt like hours I was waiting while Max was being instructed on how to do CPR.

He mouthed to me that the Ambulance shouldn't be long. Only two more minutes.

There was a small gasp of air. Hope. No hope. The hope didn't last long...

As the Ambulance crew entered it was like a river flooding in the house. They did everything they needed to, until eventually and slowly Mrs Milly Boil's eyes opened and small gasped of air could be heard through the gas mask.