CHAPTER 4: NIGHTMARES AND DAYDREAMS

As soon as he asked the last question, a horde of skeletons grabbed me from nowhere with a shout.

In a panic, I burst into flames, yelling, "Leave me alone!"

Some did, and some skeletons that were too close got roasted to ash. But some held on, muttering threats in thick Caribbean accents.

"Now, now, boys," Anubis rose, and the skeletons released me, "No need to scare our...," he gave a mock bow and smiled at me, "Guest."

He smiled wider, almost cynically, as he took a few steps closer to me.

Mustering up whatever little courage I had, I summoned my sword. Thankfully, it appeared this time.

"L-le...leave me a-" I was stuttering so bad it was a miracle my sword didn't fall out of my hands. The skeletons seemed wary of my sword, though, so that gave me some hope. "Leave me alone!"

Anubis stepped closer.

"Why?" He asked, casually moving away my sword with two clawed fingers as he stepped even closer."We've barely even touched you."

I took a step back, jabbing the sword at him, "Stay back!"

He didn't even look at the sword. His eyes stayed on me as he held the blade of my sword between two fingers and said, "I asked a question, Jones Fate."

Even as he said my name, I felt a chill run down my spine.

The god gritted his teeth as he suddenly yanked the sword out of my hands with two fingers and tossed it in the air yelling, "WHERE IS MY ANKH?!"

Before the sword could even fall, he looked up and roared at it, and a column of green fire flew from his mouth into the air, enveloping my sword. By the time he stopped roaring, the sword was gone.

The skeletons cheered.

My heart seemed to shrink as the god looked back down at me and said, "Hold the boy."

The skeletons rushed at me once more, and, despite my yells and the fact that I burst into flames again, they held me up until I was almost at eye level with the god.

"Well?" Anubis leaned towards me. Being so close to him, it felt like his eyes radiated a scorching heat. His breath smelled acidic, like rotten eggs dumped in a car accident. "Where is it?"

"I-I-I don't know, I swear," I stuttered, "I don't even- I don't even know what it looks like!"

A moment passed.

"I see," Anubis leaned away, disappointed. "I should've known..."

The god turned and started to slowly walk away.

"Sire!" A skeleton called, his husky voice definitely sounding like a pirate's, "What'll you have us do with the boy?"

Anubis paused, then casually looked over his shoulder. "Make him walk the plank."

The skeletons cheered one more time, and I cried in panic. They hassled me over to the side of the ship and hoisted a wooden plank onto the starboard. I screamed and threw fire on their faces, but several of them managed to throw me overboard anyway.

I almost fell off, but I grabbed the plank and held on to it for dear life. The stormy sea below looked grave and unforgiving, like it was ready to swallow me into nothingness.

I looked up and begged, "Please! I swear I didn't steal anything! Please!!!"

The skeletons laughed, and Anubis casually strolled over.

"Anubis!" I cried out to the god, "Please!! You gotta believe me! I- I don't even know what an Ankh looks like! Please, I'm begging you!! Please!!"

Anubis raised a hand, and the skeleton pirates fell silent. I didn't even notice I was crying until I heard myself sniffing.