thirty-five.

It was an eerie feeling being in Sarah's room , the place she had grown up and matured. The place she could not return. June March stood in front of the mirror in the bedroom, her eyes tracing down her body. She had an unsettled feeling inside of her, she couldn't find the root of it exactly. Maybe it was because she had to attend a gala with the person she despised most in the world. Maybe it was the fact that she hadn't heard anything from the group. Maybe it was the fact that the strange vibe between her and Rafe was a bit overwhelming, one moment they were bordering on some kind of friendship and another moment they were at each others throats. Maybe it was because all of these thoughts of JJ were begging to be let out from where she had locked them away, but if Rafe was good for anything...it was a distraction. There was a knock on the bedroom door, June turning her head to look in the direction of the door.

"Come in." The knob turned and Rafe entered the room, a surprisingly soft look on his face as he did. He was in a black tuxedo, his tie undone around his neck as he stepped further inside. He was amazed by her once again, his jaw wanting to drop but his pride keeping his mouth closed. She was dressed in an extremely flattering black gown to match his suit, Rafes fingers coming up to wipe at his mouth as he shook his head at her. Her hair had been pulled from the ponytail and had fallen in waves, and she had put makeup on. June had been surprised when she had seen the dress, she had suspected Rafe would dress her in something that showed off parts of her body that she didn't want him to see, but she had been wrong with this assumption. It was an elegant and simply modest dress, Rafe having chosen it to showcase his respect for her. His care for her. It made her feel sick the longer she thought about it.

"I did pretty good I think." He said, and she appreciated that he didn't comment directly on her appearance. They stood there, June wanting to feel absolute dread but not being able to manage it. Uneasiness was all. For a moment she figured he wanted to say something important, the way his lips pursed and he dodged her gaze but he must've decided not to, because he ran a hand over his head and then sighed.

June wanted to start the night on a good note, wanted things to go well. She had thought long and hard about how to proceed, and she realized she was drained and tired of fighting with him. She had made her bed and that meant she had to lie in it. She started towards him, her eyes glazed and glistening with something he hadn't seen in awhile. Her hands lifted from her sides and she reached towards his neck, Rafe holding his breath as he waited for what she would do. He felt his heart swell when she started to adjust his tie, the corner of her lip lifting as she began to tie it. His eyebrows furrowed and he was deeply confused, but he wouldn't ruin this moment by questioning her. He stared down at her with a softened gaze as she fixed his tie, Junes eyes glued to the fabric. It felt right to do this, to ease some of the tension between them. This was her part of the deal, she supposed she could make the most of it.

"Thanks." He said in a low whisper as she moved her hands down from his chest, a sincere smile gracing her lips for a moment before she turned away from him. She walked over to the mirror and fixed her hair a little more, the slicked back pieces of it giving her an elegant and sophisticated look. She didn't look 17, she looked older. This reminded Rafe of her birthday, and he considered his next moves and how she would react if he went with them. However he had remembered the occasion, the boy shoving his hands into his pockets and speaking again. "You know I actually got you something for your birthday."

"What?"

"I saw it a few months ago and I thought of you. You know...before everything happened." She looked at him with anguish and uncertainty, Rafe feeling his chest constrict as he looked at her. To him, their love story was the most tragic of all time. He swiped his thumb across the edge of his bottom lip and then shook his head, looking down at his shoes. "Yeah I bought it and I planned on doing some apologizing and begging and fixing things and then...I don't know. Everything happened."