Chapter 32

Raphael was panged with cold sweat. He’d lost track of time, listening to Juliet’s quiet words of support as Meiser worked diligently.

He had been injected with some kind of numbing drug and painkillers. It was extremely strong, more so than anything he’d ever been on in his life. His entire body felt numb, but he was relaxed and calm. Meiser’s eyes were gentle yet fierce. Raphael could tell that he was passionate about his work.

His sudden speaking and deep, feathery voice brought him to his senses.

“Okay, you’re good.”

Raphael groaned and felt his wound. It was expertly stitched up, and there was no infection as far as he could tell. He wasn’t sure if it was from the drugs or Meiser’s work, or both, but he felt very little pain around it too. Only slightly whenever he pressed his fingers hard on the surrounding skin, which got a little hiss from him.

He stood up and put his shirt on, and he remarked at how he felt. If he had forgotten the last few hours, he wouldn’t have even realized he’d been shot.

What did he give me?

“Are you okay?” Juliet asked.

“Yeah…I feel good…” Raphael muttered.

Meiser gave the two cups of water. Raphael gulped his down, breathing heavily into the cup.

Meiser leaned back and took off his gloves and undid his hair, letting it flow freely. He rubbed his neck, looking up to see Reese standing right outside the office. Tony and Bea stood behind him, still like statues and ready to fire if any sudden moves were made.

“About time,” Reese said. “I need to speak with you two.”

Meiser turned away, writing something in his notepad. Raphael and Juliet hesitantly obliged, exiting the office and leaving Meiser behind. He pressed a button and the door shut behind them.

“My apologies for shooting you. It was a heat of the moment situation. I’m sure you understand,” Reese extended his arm.

Raphael scowled at him.

“You know, I was just told not too long ago that one of my closest friends for many years has died. I’m sure that you wouldn’t want…er…Finn and Russell to receive similar news, no?” Reese said with a slight smile, his arm still extended.

Raphael looked at him in confusion, and carefully shook his hand.

“Good,” Reese pointed with his injured hand over to the fighting cage. “I have two seats over there for you. Please, go and sit.”

They made their way to the cage, and sat down. There was an additional chair for Reese, though Bea and Tony were left to stand. Two additional members had joined them, standing guard behind Reese.

“So who was it?” Juliet said, breaking the tense silence.

“Werster. He’s dead.”

The duo went wide-eyed at the news.

“Good,” Raphael said scornfully. “I hope he fucking suffered.”

“That’s not kind…”

“I don’t care. He killed a little girl! Don’t you care at least a little about that?”

Reese hummed in surprise. “Did he now…? I’m sure he had his reasons. Besides, even if I did feel like punishing him over that, he’s dead anyways, is he not? There’s nothing I can do.”

Juliet grit her teeth. “I wish I’d done it to him. See him in pain.”

Reese rubbed his head, annoyed at their remarks. “Lane is dead too.”