Dragons And War

We were stopped just outside the back gate of the Grimlands. They all looked tense.

"What's going on?" I yelled up. 

"Lockdown! I'd recommend you turn around; everything is going to shit in here!" they called back down. I frowned.

"How so?" Pearl yelled as something exploded. Usually that was pretty normal in the Grimlands, but not the resounding screams and alarm bells. I cursed.

"My name is Gemini, sister of Count Fwhip, Grand Wizard of the Crystal Cliffs! Let us in!" I boomed. The guards quickly complied. 

The streets were in pandemonium. Everyone rushed back and forth, screaming and looting. Pearl and I rushed in, heading to the palace. Fwhip was waiting there, holding his son and barking orders as guards rushed by. He caught sight of us and waved us over.

"Gem. Strange woman I've never met before. We're under attack." he panted. His son was crying from the noise.

"From who?" Pearl pressed. Fwhip turned to her, panicked.

"The Cod Father. He's here with his entire army in tow."

.  .  .

We stood on the outer ramparts, looking down at the Cod Empires army. There must have been thousands of them, their green banners depicting a fish waving in the wind. They parted for a massive battering ram shaped like a massive, flaming bronze cod.

"Leave, Cod Father! We seek no quarrel with you!" Fwhip boomed into the horn. The battering ram stopped. 

"Well, you should have thought of that before you came and killed half our fish and corrupted our farms!" A British voice roared from below. His voice was twisted with anger. The Cod Father.

My fingers clenched around the rail. This was the enemy of our people for the past two hundred years. And now he was here, threatening us. 

Fwhip was about to respond when another war horn sounded. Another army.

"Oh, who the hell is it now?" Fwhip sighed, surprisingly calm. But I could see the fear in his eyes.

The army of the Mythlands marched, pounding drums. When the heck did they get here? And why? Last I checked, we were on good terms with them.

Sausage rode in front on a massive war horse in shining gold and red armor. He held a large staff with a blue flame at the tip, and his sword bounced at his hip. A surprising look of anger warped his face, making me take a small step back even though he was at least a hundred yards away. 

"COD FATHER! I HAVE COME FOR YOUR HEAD!" he roared, the complete opposite of the man I had met the other day. The entire cod army stepped back at his anger.

A conch horn sounded, making Fwhip toss his hands up.

"Oh, great. Now SHE'S here. Just perfect." he laughed drily. 

A third army marched from the direction of the ocean, all seven-foot-tall hybrids of humans and fish. A ten-foot-tall woman of the same species marched at the front, wielding a trident taller than me. The Ocean Queen, Lizzy. I had always found the normal name strange for a ten-foot-tall fish. I could see the Cod Father breathe a sigh of relief. His sister and closest ally was here. 

"Don't even think about it, Sausage!" Lizzy screamed. Even without a horn her voice carried insanely. 

"I'll fight you, too, if I have to!" Sausage cackled, taking a deep drink from a tankard of presumably mead.