Demons and Portals

Location: Crystal Cliffs

Five hours before the Moon Festival in Gilded Helianthia

I sat at my desk, flipping through an ancient, black and red tome I had somehow never seen before. It even had beautiful illustrations. 

"The universe consists of seven realms and three dimensions. The realms are as follows: 

"Gaiaheim- Home of Men

Biaheim- Home of Giants

Darvinheim- Home of Dwarves

Urdurheim- Home of Zombies

Borialheim- Home of Necromancers

Vygerheim- Home of the Deep Dark

Argarheim- Home of the Gods

"The three dimensions are a strange, mysterious thing that are very unlike the Prime Realms, and are only accessible via magic.

"The first of the dimensions is the Overworld, the highest of the three. All the realms are held within it.

"The second is known as the Nether. It is a hellish, cave like place, filled with roaring seas of molten rock, sheer cliffs, and jagged mountains. All sorts of strange things call the Nether home. 

"The third, the lowest of the three, is known as the End. It is a cold place, made up of islands floating in the primordial Void. Strange beasts roam its night skies, beasts made of black scales and wings that cause hurricanes. Ender Dragons."

"If a mage is able to open a gate, that is to be their final test. If they succeed, they are to be referred to as a Wizard."

I snapped the book shut, pondering.

Mabey I could open a gate to one of these dimensions. 

Holding the book in the crook of my arm, I walked out of my tower and found a small cave nearby.

I held the book up, memorizing the drawing of the Nether. Once I had it burned into my mind, I pointed my staff forwards, willing spacetime to bend and break enough to rip a hole through to the Nether.

Soon my arms trembled from the focus. Through my shut eyes, I could see purple light shining brightly.

I heard lightning snap, followed by what sounded like paper tearing.

I opened my eyes hesitantly, and gasped.

A swirling, purple frame of energy sat in front of me, sparks flying off its rapidly rotating body. I felt the hair on my arms stand from the static electricity.

I laughed. I had done it. I had opened a portal to an entirely new world.

That's when a shiver of cold ran down my spine. I frowned a raised my staff.

Something was on the other side of that portal. Something powerful.

I had just made possibly the biggest mistake of my life.

A hand came through the portal, made of pure, shining obsidian. Then it's face came through.

Its mouth looked like a horrible grin had been ripped into it, glowing crimson. Its intelligent eyes glowed the same terrible hue as its eyes. 

"Thank you, wizard... It has been far too long." The creature hissed in a deep, rich Scottish accent. I jabbed my staff at it.

"Back! I'm warning you!" I barked. It gave a raspy laugh.