✰ 18 - cosmic embrace

Start from the beginning

"Actually Rita, Dhruv can do other things also, that you'd like..." Cabir exclaimed, taking a seat on one of the barstools, as Manik occupied another, holding a smile within. I glared at him, gesturing him with my eyes to shut the fuck up if he loved his life enough to remain alive, "Hai na, Dhruv," He smirked, as Manik bit his lower lip still smiling as well.

Rose turned towards me, more mystified, and in a teasing manner, she ran her finger down the zipper of my hoodie. "Really?"

I cleared my throat, pouring the Midori into two shot glasses topped with Baileys. "Do you want to... maybe go outside... for a bit?"

"Haan haan, jao jao, but come back also haan after 'a bit' has passed," Cabir shouted behind us, before cackling with Manik, who I thought was actually pleased at me being hit on in such an obvious manner.

⭒⭒⭒

Cabir 

I had made myself comfortable near the rails of the balcony, leaning on the wall with my knees tucked. "So... how did it go?" I asked, swirling the last sip of my whiskey in the glass before devouring it.

Dhruv took a metal chair from the outdoor circular table and sat there.

"We just talked... a lot, about random things." I set the glass beside me, on the cold tile. "Before I dropped her, I told her, about the attacks. She said it's cute,"

"Cute? Wow, she has no idea, huh? I must say though, you guys hit it off better than I'd thought!"

"Tu bata, that day after you saw Navya's partner... tera puura mood hi kharaab hogaya tha,"

"I was thinking about it actually, I want to get to know him. See if there's any commonalities, and if he has answers,"

"You think he's family?" Why, did Dhruv not think it was possible?

"I have hope... I think for now, wahi kaafi hai,"

"Kuch baaki hai," He sang along, in the same tune as the song we composed for the school annual day in 12th. An ode to the good days.

"Man, that was my ringtone for so long, it brings back so many memories,"

"What would you think about a trip again, the five of us at least?" Dhruv nodded. "I don't know when the next time will come, that this many of us will get to be in the same place together,"

"I'm onboard, actually let's invite Navya and Ranbir too,"

"You do know you have to ask Manik, I definitely cannot, he will straight up refuse if I do," Dhruv shook his head even before I finished.

"I can't, it's been years... I don't have that of bond with him... anymore,"

"But if anyone can, it's you Dhruv,"

⭒⭒⭒

10 September 2010

It was the science fair this weekend. As the bus came to a halt at a familiar junction, there were more students than usual lined up. Many were taking the bus today because it was a free bus ride for many kids that lived on the school bus routes, but not far enough to pay a hefty pickup fee. Staff were busy arranging decors and models in the school, nobody was checking attendance. Usually that meant a plethora of fun.

Not for me, and not today.

Some thermocoal models squeezed through the entry channel of the bus. One child had bumped her shoulder into a corner of a model, snipping it off. She heard an earful from the respective owner to be mindful of his science experiment, and not to roam around with her eyes glued to the ground.