Chapter 2- Fibs

Soon the two boys reached Liam’s house. Liam tugged off his shoes and pushed open the door. “You can leave your shoes there,” He said, pointing to a spot beside his. “Mom I’m home!” He yelled, closing the door behind Zayn. “A friends over!” There was some commotion from the kitchen, and Liam’s mom stepped into view, smiling. “Hello!’ She said, looking at Zayn. “I’m Ms. Payne,” She held out her hand and Zayn shook it, smiling back.

“Zayn Malik,” He replied cheerfully.

“He’s going to help me with my math,” Liam explained, pulling off his jacket. Liam’s mom frowned.

“But Liam aren’t you-“

“We’ll be in my room,” He continued, interrupting his mom, grabbing Zayn’s wrist. ‘C’mon,” Zayn laughed as his new friend pulled him down the hall into a medium sized room. He looked around, nodding. “You play?’ He asked, pointing to the guitar and keyboard in the corner.

“A bit,” Liam responded, flopping onto his bed. “Okay, so what are we learning about again?” he asked, tilting his head slightly.

“Well we’re reviewing right now, so Pi, not the food, ratios, linear equations, things like that. Simple stuff.” Zayn replied, sitting beside Liam. He glanced at him, grinning. “You have no idea what I just said do you?”

“Not a clue,” Liam replied honestly, bouncing slightly. “Pi. That’s… uhm… 3.15 right?”

“3.14,” Zayn replied, grabbing a notebook and paper. “Or 7 over 22, a fraction.” He felt Liam look over his shoulder as he wrote on the paper. “If you ever want to find the circumference of a circle, you want to do the diameter of the circle time’s pi. So if the diameter of the circle was 14 and pi was 3.14…” he trailed off, looking at Liam.

“Then you would multiply 14 by pi?” Liam asked slowly, meeting Zayn’s gaze. “Which would be…?” Liam grabbed Zayn’s notebook and paper, scribbling numbers across the lined paper. “Umm… about… 43.98?”

Zayn grinned, looking over Liam’s work. “Perfect,” He said happily. “You learn fast.”

Liam let out a small laugh, lying down on his bed. “It’s easy.” He replied, waving his hand in the air. He blinked. “I mean. It’s-”

“Liam?”

“Yeah?”

“You’re good at math aren’t you?”

“Kinda yeah.” Liam responded quietly, playing with his fingers.

Zayn turned to face Liam, his eyes squinted in confusion. “So why are you getting bad grades on purpose?” he asked, flopping down beside him.

“Cause I thought that if I got a tutor I’d get a friend,” Liam mumbled, looking at Zayn. “I don’t really have any friends. My mom says I’m too quiet.”

“Zayn smiled, sitting back up and patting Liam on the head. “I’ll be your friend Liam,” He responded. “But on one condition.”

“What would that be?” Liam asked, sitting up too.

“You don’t pretend to be stupid anymore.”

“Deal.”