40

Heck swung by his house a little after ten o'clock. It was too early for lunch, but he'd skipped breakfast and was starving. More than anything though, he wanted to check on Leah. He knew that note was nasty. Clancy was sending him a signal that he really meant business.

If only the Clancy's of the world would agree to meet in some clearing and take out all their anger and madness on each other, duking it out until they all fell onto the ground exhausted, it would be a better world, Heck thought as he pulled the emergency brake on his sedan, parking in front of his house. He glanced over at Miss Anjohn's house.

Dang, if the old lady wasn't toddling out her door. Heck kept his poker face on, but inside, his heart sank. He was sure she wanted him to find a missing lawn tool, clear her back lot of leaves because she saw a snake, or some other of a million excuses to get him over to her house for some free labor and lemonade. He looked at it as a form of community service, but today, he had other things on his mind.

"Heck! Heck!" she yelled across the street. "I'm so glad you came home! Did someone tell you we needed you? Anyway, I'm just so happy you're here."

"Your door is locked! The blinds are pulled! Leah won't answer the door. Something is bad wrong, Heck. Something really bad!"

"Oh, Miss Anjohn, Leah's got a sick headache is all. Told her to lock the house up, pull the shades, and lay down until it passes."

"You did, did ya? Then, tell me why I saw her 'n that horrid Clancy loping over the back field about an hour ago."

"What?"

"That's right. I knew something was awful wrong. By the time I was able to get around the side of the house, to try the back door, I saw those two headed that way."

Anjohn pointed toward the path that the two had taken.

"I was so shocked, I just stood there with my mouth opened. Couldn't say a word. Not one word! I hurried over to Sadie's house and asked her to send little Arthur to get you. I guess he found you. I'm so glad."

"No, I haven't seen Arthur. But you'll have to excuse me, Miss Anjohn," Heck said over his shoulder, as he bolted up the porch steps to unlock the door. "Don't come in. If there's been a crime committed here, I need to leave the house untouched."

"Of course. Why would I want to go into an empty house? I told you that Leah is not there."

Anjohn was right. The house was as empty as the tomb of Christ. Heck ran through each room, calling for Leah. When he entered the bedroom, he saw that a scuffle had occurred there. A small bedside lamp was overturned, and the linens were tossed about the room like a cyclone had passed.

He ran out of the room and went to the kitchen. The back door was ajar. It did not looked forced. Leah probably had not locked it. He went back out to the front of the house, where Anjohn was standing on the front walk.

"Anjohn," Heck ordered, "walk to the office and put up a paper asking Palmer and Leroy to go to Bennie Radstone's place. Write on the paper for them to tell Bennie to take them to Clancy's shack in the swamp."

"But can't your deputies find their way out there by themselves?"

"I doubt it. Only the older boys my age thought the swamp was a great place to play. The younger ones try to avoid it like the plague."

"Alright, Heck. I'm on my way."

Heck ran back into the house. He opened a small closet, threw out the contents on the floor, dug until he found a battered box. He grabbed the box and ran toward the back of the house.

He went out the screen door and headed in the direction that Anjohn had said the two had gone.

A quick check told him the way. The weeds were bent and twisted, creating a perfect picture of their path. He ran to the spot where a large oil stain marred the soil. There was evidence of tire tracks in the soft dirt. Clancy had her in his truck.

Heck raced back to his car and headed to the old man's house. With any luck, he'd find Leah there and bring her home unharmed. But he didn't feel so lucky, today.

The acid burned in the pit of his stomach, threatening to eat a hole clear to the bottom of his shoe. There was no one to call. Palmer and Leroy were tied up at the other end of the county. He was on his own.

"God, let her be okay," Heck whispered, as he sped down the road toward the river.

It didn't take him long. He slammed the brakes and bounded up to the door where the old, white man lived.

"Clancy! Clancy! It's the sheriff! I'm comin' in!"

The front door was opened. A young lady sat in the kitchen, eating a bowl of greens. Her mouth was opened, and the spoon was suspended in mid air.

"Zinnia!" Heck said. "Where's Clancy!"

"Oh, no," Zinnia whispered. "I can't tell you, sheriff. If I do, he'll kill me."

"Where is he! You tell me this instant, Zinnia. I don't have time for games."

Zinnia was as white as a sheet. She was scared, and Heck knew it. He hated to be so rough with the girl, but there was no time for pleasantries.

"He said he was gonna teach your nigger a lesson. He was so mad that Key and Lakin was shamed like they were. That and your nigger was all he could talk about. He's crazy! Crazy! But, he scares the livin' daylights outta me! I wish I never came back. But I had no where else to go! He's gonna kill me when he finds out I told you. Oh, god! I don't wanna die!"

"Pack your clothes," Heck said, pulling out his wallet. "Here's twelve dollars. Walk to the main road and catch the bus. Go as far as you can. This will get you outta here, and you'll still have enough for a room and a hot meal. Get out while you can, Zinnia. Don't ever come back. You're right. Clancy is crazy. He's crazy, and he's mean. Take it, and don't come back. I gotta good idea where I'll find him. Thanks, Zinnia."

Heck bounded out the door and sped away in his car. If he was right, this was going to be like prying a clam open with your teeth.

He prayed that, in this instance, he was dead wrong.