32

"Order! Order in this court!"

"Your honor!" Leland yelled.

Heck's jaw was on the floor. I was numb with shock but somehow managed to walk up in front of the courtroom and sit down in the witness seat.

Despite Leland's vociferous objections, the judge ruled to proceed. Leland looked like his ulcer had burst. Olley looked at the twelve white men seated at the side of the room and smiled. It was a greasy smile. Oily. And captured in his eyes was a look of smug confidence.

"You realize, don't you," he said to me, "that your testimony has no weight in this court room."

"Yes."

You could literally have heard a pin drop.

"Gentlemen," he said, "and to those within the sound of my voice, let it not be said that I was not fair to all sides. I am simply trying to show the truth here today. And the truth is," he said, turning to me, "you were driving the car upon you employer's orders."

"Yes," I said.

"Tell us what happened next."

I remember being terrified at sitting in front of so many white people, facing them, and wanting to flee. I cannot explain it, but somehow, words came out of mouth.

My story was simple and unwavering. It was the truth.

I had done as I was told; I had taken the car and proceeded to drive it home. I had become lost. I was exhausted, sick with worry about Miss Nell, and fearful that I would fall asleep at the wheel. It was dark. I thought the best thing to do was pull off the side of the road and catch a quick nap. I did not know how long I had been sleeping. Suddenly, I was dragged from the car and hit over the head.

"And you remember nothing until you awoke that next morning."

"Yes."

"And can you positively identify that these two boys," he said, pointing to the Crandells, "were the same ones that hit you over the head?"

"No. I cannot."

"In fact, you did not see who attacked you than night on the side of the road, did you?"

Here it comes, I thought. They'll throw the case out now.