♔ 𝕿𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕾𝔦𝔵 ♔

Start from the beginning

He has bathed, his hair still damp, the waves more ringlets as they hang over his forehead. His shirt is slack, rolled up to the elbows and undone to his chest. Still, he looks better put together than most. Especially me.

He waits for some explanation of my current ailments, which Greesh offers. "Lord Calix, Lord. All done. She will need tonics for a few more days, and no strain on her wounds while her body repairs. No putting away wings, or flying. Miss Daenira," he looks at me pointedly. My eyes only widen. "You need to be careful. For at least a week."

"I can do that." I say.

"Can you? Less than three days in Xandara and you were taming wyverns and murdering men. Is careful in your vocabulary?" I grit my teeth, more at the sight of Calix's lazy grin.

"When it calls for it, then yes."

He hums. "Thank you Greesh." The medeor nods and hurries on his way, leaving Calix and I alone once more. "I am sure you would like to bathe, now."

I sigh and move to stand. The distribution of this new weight unsteadies me and my arms come out to either side in order to keep me upright. Calix's hand snaps out to grab and support me. Only when I have adjusted does he let go. "Very much, but I am to be careful, remember? I do not think squeezing these things in a tub would be a wise idea."

"In a tub?" His brows furrow before realisation adorns his features. "Oh, you will not know what a shower is, will you?" He holds open the door for me and allows me to leave the room first. When he follows behind, he is quick to match my stride, watching attentively to make sure I do not lose my balance.

"Like a rain shower?"

"Very much. Except it is hot, and indoors, and you undress for it." I narrow my eyes at him, sceptical of his sincerity. He only smirks. "Come. I will show you."

We walk the rest of the way towards my Wing in silence, though he does not continue to my bedroom, but the main bathroom. The one where the gurgling seat scared me half to death my first morning here. I have not been in since, so I still let my eyes scan over the room.

All four exposed stone walls a dark stormy grey. Moonlight leaks in from the window, but there is also a lit fixture above, the entire thing glowing with white light. Strange, how much the Courts rely on magic for simple things such as lighting. It is no wonder they were so concerned with the waning of their power. Everything they do, everything they have, their power fuels it all.

"This shower thing you speak of," I begin, taking a step forward. The rough flooring catches my wings and tugs at the membrane. When I wince, Calix is quick to reach his shadows towards me, using them to lift them from the ground. An instant relief rushes over the muscles in my back as they are offered reprieve from the strain.

"You need to keep them off the floor. Do you ever seen Tynan dragging his wings?" Calix's tone has found a scolding edge.

"When I have had my wings for as long as Tynan, I am sure I will hold them as proud as he." The blank expression suggests he does not find me funny. "The shower?"

He makes his way to the glass screen, that which I had ignored the time before, and reaches into the space within it. With that hand, he pulls at a handle, and as though releasing a storm cloud above, water begins to spill from the ceiling. More specifically, the metal panel attached to it.

I can only gasp, perplexed by what I am seeing, wide eyes studying the magic of it. Never have I seen anything quite like this. It was an adjustment to see the Court of Abutilon not have to heat their water over a fire, but for it to rain from the ceiling is an entirely different wonder.